Do Boats Really Float in Fresh Water?

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Do Boats Really Float in Fresh Water?

Why would you go around dumping salt in perfectly good fresh water?! I'm sure the fish would complain about the taste?
What happened to your motor that you have to go all circa 1800's and 'sail'?!?!? Did you not winterize it?

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my boat only floats in the fresh water because i'm pretending i'm somewhere with palm trees and white sand.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why would you go around dumping salt in perfectly good fresh water?! I'm sure the fish would complain about the taste?
What happened to your motor that you have to go all circa 1800's and 'sail'?!?!? Did you not winterize it?

Well, I ordered the salt dumped in after somebody told me that boats don't float so good in fresh water. I shoulda checked here first.
That also explains what happened to all the fish.

I'm saving up for a motor. Wait, the sails actually cost more than a motor. I get pretty good gas mileage, though, maybe one million or two million miles a gallon.

I actually do have a 4hp Evinrude and a custom mount, which I use when I go to Catalina in the summer. Wouldn't want to be becalmed in the shipping lanes which run coastwise here.

Artwerke

Seaman Apprentice

Here in Texas they don't float in fresh water, they don't sink either,they just sit there with their keels in the mud.

magster65

Commander

I used to trailer regularly between the local lake and the salt... boat sat noticeably higher in the salt and top speed was almost 10% faster. Fact. A prop change may have reduced that difference but it was there.