Fresh water bottom paint

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I live in Fla and have to this point sailed only in salt water.

Got me a small sailboat that will spend its time in fresh water, tied via whips to a pier most of the time.

Anybody got a recommendation for a bottom paint that will at lessen the growth of aquatic stuff on my bottom. Well, actually, the bottom of my boat. Any help much appreciated, along with any comment re my default plan of using an alblative marine paint . . . ?

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fresh water bottom paint

Any marine anti-fouling paint suited for freshwater will "lessen the growth of aquatic stuff on (your) bottom" however all coating variations represent a compromise of some sort (price, effectiveness, maintenance, features) depending on what you want. That said, there are different coatings better suited to specific sets of priorities. Are you going to prep the bottom, apply the coating, and maintain the bottom yourself or hire it done? How often are you willing/able to haul out? Do you race? Do you have other specific requirements? Absent those, we can't make a proper recommendation to you.

Last edited:

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any marine anti-fouling paint suited for freshwater will "lessen the growth of aquatic stuff on (your) bottom" however all coating variations represent a compromise of some sort (price, effectiveness, maintenance, features) depending on what you want. That said, there are different coatings better suited to specific sets of priorities. Are you going to prep the bottom, apply the coating, and maintain the bottom yourself or hire it done? How often are you willing/able to haul out? Do you race? Do you have other specific requirements? Absent those, we can't make a proper recommendation to you.

Is there a better example of the paralysis of analysis on the planet?

sailor55330

Seaman Apprentice

I'd say the advice given is anything but "analysis paralysis". All of the above comments are dead on. I had a cruising sailboat in salt, that I had transferred from fresh and I promise you the bottom coating from fresh was useless in a salt environment. I checked with 3 reputable boatyards when I had my bottom job done and all said the same thing.

100% agree on the advice

Jim Cash

Cadet

Sailor: Reread what was posted! He is going FROM salt to FRESH! I would not spend my money on a bottom coating for fresh water. Any growth will readily clean off. In fact this is true after many weeks in saltwater as well with an epoxy hull. Spray grass growth with bleach, wait 10 minutes, spray off! Chief

Last edited:

N_Young

Recruit

If the boat has any anodes you should change them to magnesium, from zinc/aluminium