Epoxy repair advice

First post, and I hope my image uploaded. Just bought an old sloop, 12 ft, in good condition, but this pic shows the bow where the mainstay attaches. I'll need to replace the plywood block, but what type of epoxy should I use to secure it? Will Marine Tex do the job?
Thanks in advance. I can provide more pics if necessary.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0

seattle scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Epoxy repair advice

It really should just have sealant /calk between the deck and the plate and then be thru bolted with a backing block ( piece of 1/2 " ply) on the underside of the deck. Can you get access to thru bolt or not enough room in the bow?

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not familiar with your particular sailboat but I have had lots of experience with restoring my first sailboat which had both a hole in the transom and later found a crack aft of the keel trunk. I also had to completely rebuild the swing keel, encased steel plate in fiberglass.

I used uscomposites fiberglass epoxy. West systems is nice but too much $$$.

The transom was repaired by me about 3 years ago.

The keel was rebuilt by me last fall.

The crack in the hull was repaired by me late last fall.

After the repair and 48-72 hr dry time i coated with epoxy base coat then an antifouling paint.

The boat sits in the water every day and has since last Oct and is still dry as can be.

The best part about fiberglass is that it's very forgiving, if you mess up you can always re do it and no harm done if you are moderately careful.

Dont let any epoxy resin touch your skin, some folks can have an allergic reaction to it.

I think a backing plate would be ideal, but right, I have no access to put one in without installing an inspection port. The previous owner put the plywood piece on, then screwed it into the deck and epoxied all around it. I'm thinking I'd need to fill in those screw holes and try to reinstall the screws with new plywood on top, then epoxy all around it. Just not sure of proper material for the best adhesion and water proofing.

seattle scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would use any type of 3/4" solid wood - not plywood -for the top plate. Polyester resin is cheap, so brush on 2-3 coats of resin ( with hardener!) to seal the wood. Then use 3M 5200 adhesive caulk to both seal the top plate and "glue" it to the deck with screws

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

whatever you decide, know this first:

You can always epoxy over polyester, but you can never polyester over epoxy.

Once you commit to an epoxy repair, know that you'll never, ever, ever be able to put poly over top of that repair. Not to say that you'd even ever want to....but know up front that these 2 materials only "play nicely" with one another on one direction.

E over P....yes

P over E....will not stick.

I learned this the hard way several years back.

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last edited:

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

I've always had good luck with USComposites; wide range of products...even some exotic fabrics, great prices with the same quality customer service, and fast shipping. I've never been disappointed. Epoxy is God's gift to the marine world. I will NEVER go back to polyester resin. There is no reason to save for expediency or front-end economy.

On to your project. Fabricate a solid wood backing plate and encapsulate it in thin epoxy resin. Put an access port in. some come with bags that fit in the opening to store personal items (keys, ID, cash..etc. Nice things to keep around after your dinghy tips over.) Discard the above-deck block of wood and repair/prepare the deck to use just the bow plate you already have. Over-drill and fill the bolt holes in the deck AND the backing plate with epoxy. Re-drill the proper size holes, bed the stem in the appropriate sealant and bolt through to the backing plate. The result will look factory/professional. Additionally, the repair will be bullet-proof and maintenance-free if you follow proper hardware bedding procedures.

I really appreciate this step-by-step and clear advice, as well as all the other responses with words of experience. I am ordering an access port and will check out USComposites today. I hadn't thought about eliminating the top block completely and just drilling into the backing plate, but it makes sense. Thank you.

image.jpgI'm embarrassed to post this, but will so that others may learn from my (big) mistake. I finally got the inspection port, planning to install a backing block inside the bow deck to support the forestay mount. (pics posted) BUT in my carelessness I first drilled ( to get an opening for my saw,) then cut right into the inner structural support of the fiberglass hull. Even if I could repair the damage with fiberglass patch, the inspection base plate won't fit into the hole with the support there, just under the deck.
The only option I see now is to repair the internal damage and a big hole in the deck after I install the backing block for the forestay. Or put the hull at the curb witha 'free' sign after salvaging a few parts from it. I'm really disappointed. The hull is otherwise in really good shape. Can/ should this hull be saved?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you have epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth it can all be repaired. It is not destroyed but you created more work.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 with Bob VT. This is why you have to love your boat to properly maintain it.
Otherwise, it will break your heart, if not your wallet.

I love my boat.

Last edited:

I'm trying to love my boat. I love and know Sunfish. This boat is new to me and there is almost no info to be found on it. I know I've created more work. And it still doesn't give easy access to put in the backing plate, which was my purpose. Do you think I could make two cuts into the inner fiberglass so the inspection port will fit flush with the deck? Only concern is possible structural integrity with cutting into inner fiberglass, but if I use fiberglass cloth around it after it's placed I guess that's the way to go?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Installing the piece with fiberglass and epoxy underneath it will be good then sealing the entire piece with more fiberglass and epoxy will be fine. It will actually be stronger then when it was brand new.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't be afraid. Its just miracle whip and once you learn the ropes of it you will realize you can repair or make anything you want. The only fear you should have is making too much and having to grind the extra off:)

Don't waste your money on West Systems. Way over priced. US Composites can line you up for what you need at half the price

Last edited: