I am down to 2 choices, a 22 foot 1976 CS and a 1982 25 foot MacGregor

wpg manitoba

Seaman
The Canadian Sailboat I can get for $3500 with trailer, but it needs a few things done, like a fresh bottom coat, dagger board needs paint, trailer needs some tires and has been sitting for a couple years unused. The MacGregor is selling for an asking price of $6000 but from what I have been told has been well taken by its owner which is the third owner of this sailboat, not to mention is 6 years newer and is in ready to sail condition with radio to.

I am just getting into sailing and right off the bat I like the trailerbillity of the Macgreger. The Canadian Sailboat although also a swing keel looks much more difficult to trailer and almost looks like it might need a crane to get it back on because its keel is much bigger which is a hassle that I don't think I will like.

Also although both sailboats have a displacement of about 2100 lbs, The CS has a Ballast weight of 1100lbs and the MacGregor only 625lbs. I don't know barely anything about sailboats but this tells me that the CS would be more stable but since I am new to sailing I figure this won't matter much to me as I won't dare to go into bad weather.
So all in all the MacGregor looks trailer friendly, better condition, and ready to sail so I am leaning towards this Sailboat. But as far as sailing is one easier to sail then the other? I would like the possibilty of sailing alone, so is one better suited for this?

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I am down to 2 choices, a 22 foot 1976 CS and a 1982 25 foot MacGregor

if you are planning to trailer and launch alone, neither of these will be easy to set up alone. I have been on a mcgregor 26, it was a nice boat. they tend to not be a preferred boat but for newbies, could work for starter. if it were me I would look at the 22 footer, then when you are more confident move up to a large boat.

I just purchased my first sailboat this year. A 19 ft o'day. took ASA lessons last year and did some rentals for the year. If you haven't taken lessons or sailed before I would recommend that before buying a boat.

I didn't think I would need them but am very glad I took them.

DonnieDDR

Recruit

I used to single-hand a 22' sailboat all the time -- including rigging, launching, and recovering it. A 25' boat is much bigger than a 22' boat. The biggest single concern would be raising the mast by yourself -- I'd try that on either boat before I bought it. Also trailering and recovering the larger boat will be more difficult.

I don't know but I'm guessing the difference in weight may be due to water ballast -- instead of a big hunk of metal hanging under the boat you fill the bilge with water. Then you drain the water back out when you recover the boat. Makes the boat lighter for towing. But probably not as stable as a real keel.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

The CS will be a better built boat, if that's worth your consideration.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go with the MacGregor. A lot of people say bad things about them, but those are mostly owners of other boats and never had one. They are made to travel with the trailer, they are a power sailor, which can be a sailing or motor boat. The water ballast will keep it upright. They have a gin poll that attaches so that one person can raise the mast. Granted it will take a person maybe an hour or so to rig for sailing until they have a system down. Thousands have been sold and you get alot for the cost. Another reason why people don't like them, theirs cost more. lol But anyway, which ever way you go, you will be happy just being on a boat. Enjoy.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Just about every sailboat ever made cost more than a MacGregor!
There's a reason for that. But whatever, there's a budget and there's a boat.
Get out and hoist a sail, me bucko!

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

The CS is hands down a better quality boat. MacGregors have their place in the sailing world but no one will champion them as high quality craft.

Jim_25

Recruit

hi I no I am new just haven't posted much have found most every thing in passed post thank you all for that. Back to the post I have a v25 MacGregor now for 8 years it is not water ballast only the 625lb steel keel is the ballast on these boats the 26fters are the water ballasted boats and the 26x is the motor sailor the 25 will handle way more weather then you will like and the mast rising system rocks easy to handle by your self as mentioned earlier once you get a system down pulls very good aswell. But what ever one you get its a blast sheets to the wind.

centerline

Seaman

I agree with Jim_25.... there is nothing wrong with a macgregor 25. they are definitely better than some, but not as good as others.... and the same can be said of any other boat brand or model out there.

if you buy the canadian 22 you will always kick yourself for not buying the mac 25, and if you buy the mac, you will never think twice about the 22 you could have bought....

the mac 25 is an excellent sailing sailboat, unlike some of the later macgregors that have been produced.... the 625lb swing keel is more than enough ballast for the boat, and if you have the wind and the know how, it can be pushed along at 5-6kts or more fairly easy.
it has a nice sized cockpit and there is enough room inside the cabin to make weekend trips and 3-5 day cruises relatively comfortable for 2 or 3 people (or a young family of 4), and it has a pop top to increase the headroom in the cabin when on the hook, and an enclosed head area....

as for mast raising, they will be about the same on either boat. with the gin pole mast raising system offered by bluewater yachts, it makes short easy work of raising or lowering the mast... another big plus is, all replacement parts are still available for the mac, whereas they probably are not for the CS 22...

and for all the naysayers of macgregors out there, the Macgregor 25 (NOT the venture 25) made it into the american sailboat hall of fame... it made it there because the 25 was a very well designed and well built boat.
it sails well and it was also affordable enough that the working class man could afford one..... that cant be said of most of the newer macs, and now the newer successor to the macgregor boats, the "Tattoo" brand...

Last edited:

centerline

Seaman

i didnt realize this link was so old... hopefully by now you are sailing the boat of your dreams, wpg manitoba....:D