How is sailing on large bodies of water?

hostage

Lieutenant
When I was younger my dad had a sunfish and it was fun taking it in the small lake in Texas. We then got a Catalina 22 and it felt like it was to big for that body of water. It felt like it got boring really quick as we would sail the whole body in less than a day. We would also spent most of our time tacking. Sometimes we would take us 30 minutes to get out and 2 hours to get back. The wind would normally be behind us as we went through the narrow strait that led to lake.

Well I moved to Rochester, NY. We are about 10 miles south of Lake Ontario. I am wondering is sailing a whole different experience when you can go to many different locations and be out for days? I have a 19ft Cuddy that I have been enjoying for over a year. I am wondering one day upgrading to a 35+ footer and going exploring on the weekends. I guess my main worry is getting bored with the larger boat. I might try crewing a race boat as that might help me decide.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: How is sailing on large bodies of water?

I used to sail a sunfish and a 22' Catalina on Lake Huron and St. Claire (respectively). I think I enjoyed the sunfish a little more because I was younger and it was much more active sailing (got wet a lot too).

I think it's different in different boats, but on the overall I prefer sailing on larger bodies of water to smaller - regardless of boat size.

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you crazy? Getting bored on a big sail boat? That's impossible for two reasons:
1. You are on a much larger 35 ft boat with much more space and more area to relax. You can fit more people without them being on top of each other.
2. It's a sail boat. There's always something to do! And not just for one person on the throttle. Sails to sheet in, let out, tack. You have to think about angles and chart your course out how you will get there since not all directions are the same speed. Power boating is where you'll get bored : )

fyi, I just bought my first boat: 23' power boat. Would love to upgrade to a sailboat in a few years. But sail boats are more expensive to slip and store.

ktisdall

Cadet

Try distance racing and overnight racing vs day-only bouy racing. You'll use more seamanship skills and learn more about the area you sail in. Do a few race boat deliveries - that tends to be a bit more like cruising a sailboat with a schedule (not always a good thing).

I'm on LI sound and have sailed a few times to Bermuda and once to Florida. Love the open ocean but still love the Sound. We have Block I and the Cape Cod area + Islands to sail to, plus the many harbors on LI Sound. Not sure what harbors exist for you but you could go anywhere on the Great Lakes with some experience and some time. Hard to get bored.

Have also sailed a Hobie Cat 16 on a narrow lake, so I know what you have experienced.

--Kevin

I've sailed a Merit 25 IN South San Francisco Bay- It not the biggest body of water, But on a nice April day, the wind is blowing 30 knots, you have a rail in the water fighting your way up the bay. After you get to where you are going you can put a whisker pole out and fly back. But overnight trips are most conferrable.

I've also sailed Capri 22's out of Dana Point CA (28 miles east of Catalina Island) And out in the ocean Its just amazing. You can tinker with the rigging, look for sea life, Crack open a few cold ones for your crew and just mess about for hours.

For you I'd go find an anchorage, and make it a weekend trip. always exciting.

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

I'm mostly an inland lakes sailor but have spent a little coastal time as well in sailboats from 25 to 36 ft. All of the following assumes a well maintained and provisioned craft and an experienced skipper (and necessary crew) aboard. There is no reason your smaller sailboat can't go out onto large water when the weather is nice but, if wind and seas build or inclement weather approaches, there are considerations to be made and times where your style of craft may be inappropriate. When the weather kicks up, most smaller boats can manage for a time to a certain degree however the larger boats will handle the rougher conditions better, longer (without as much crew tiring), and USUALLY...remember my above assumptions, with less inherent risk. There are a myriad of situtations that can arise quickly where a small boat like yours would be found beyond its capabilities regardless of the skill of the skipper and crew. Two skill sets need to be developed by anyone taking any craft (but especially small craft) out on big water: 1. proper and responsible trip planning (including alternate plans) to avoid adverse conditions before you're caught in them and 2. suitable experience to mitigate dangers to life and to your craft when you are caught in adverse conditions. The problem usually is that Will Rogers is often right....good judgment comes from experience and most experience is gained from bad judgment. On big boats being boring.....I will admit the experience on a 35 is a lot different than on a dinghy or daysailor but each have their merits. I love both...for different reasons. One primary thing to keep in mind...the bigger they are, the more systems they usually have that must be maintained....more complexity, more time, more $$$, and more to go wrong....I think they are worth it if you can keep up the maintenance. Good luck.

nathanjones789

Recruit

When I was younger my dad had a sunfish and it was fun taking it in the small lake in Texas. We then got a Catalina 22 and it felt like it was to big for that body of water. It felt like it got boring really quick as we would sail the whole body in less than a day. We would also spent most of our time tacking. Sometimes we would take us 30 minutes to get out and 2 hours to get back. The wind would normally be behind us as we went through the narrow strait that led to lake.

Well I moved to Rochester, NY. We are about 10 miles south of Lake Ontario. I am wondering is sailing a whole different experience when you can go to many different locations and be out for days? I have a 19ft Cuddy that I have been enjoying for over a year. I am wondering one day upgrading to a 35+ footer and going exploring on the weekends. I guess my main worry is getting bored with the larger boat. I might try crewing a race boat as that might help me decide.

Try out some racing sail boat. Hope this will give you some exciting and thrilling experience.... You can also try out different location for sailing...

tommays

Admiral

MATTHEW.jpg

somedays we relax
a5984a3e.jpg

someday its a roller coaster ride that wont end

unleaded

Seaman Apprentice

large bodies are the way to go. i did lake Winnipeg in a 15 ft albacore. that was an experience - 21 days. crazy lake and crazy people around the lake. lol