Attaching a sail to increase drift speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone got any ideas on how to harness the power of the wind to help increase the drift speed of my 23" fiberglass bowrider powerboat?

The lake I go fishing in (Lake St Clair in Michigan) has typical winds of 5-10 mph during the summer and I like to drift for Walleye with crawler harnesses, but unless the winds are howling (15-30 nots) my drift speed is too slow. I was thinking does anyone make/or could I rig up a kite/sail hybrid that could catch the wind and get me going faster, with out having a mast?....oh, what about the sail that those folks that have a wakeboard looking devise attached to their feet and a kite/sail attached to a body harness?

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Attaching a sail to increase drift speed?

Ocean going kayakers use special kites when possible. Your boat may be too heavy for the kite to be of much good, but the winds aloft will be considerably stronger than at water level.
You will have trouble steering, though. It doesn't sound too safe to me, especially if there is traffic, or obstructions.

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First, do you have a preferance as to attitude of boat while drifting? (Bow to the wind, stern to the wind, sideways?)

Either way, you're going to have to have a mast of some type, but it would only be a short one. I'm kind of thinking something along the lines of a tarp arranged on two masts, either across the stern, across the bow, or along either gunwale. You probably wouldn't need much more than about a 5'X5' tarp to do what you want.

You WOULD have to ensure very secure fastening techniques, though, as the wind could easily tear those masts/stanchions right off.

Roger

SWN y MOR

Cadet

A simple polytarp sail would do for down wind.Without centreboard etc you wouldn't be doing anything else.I rigged a makeshift mast and sail(polytarp) on my open canoe,using a sapling and some rope.Easiest would be a tripod mast and square rigger sail,can be made to fold away for easy storage and needs only to be tied down on deck.Tripod self supporting .

Status
Not open for further replies.