Controlling the OB with the rudder?

emoney

Commander
Does anyone manufacture and sell a 'clamp' of sorts that would attach to
a stern hung rudder and an outboard engine? My thoughts are that in
tight manuveraing in marinas or in my case the channel behind the house,
having that extra control would make the boat turn in a tighter radius.
I've thought about just get two clamps with a 20" piece of 2" flat bar
in between them.

For clarity sake I'm wanting to control the direction of the outboard with
my rudder, in case that was confusing. Currently, the outboard is set in a
straight forward direction and the rudder does all the work. Since it's on the
starboard side of the rudder, it's not as responsive in tight turns. Our
docks are relatively close where I live with everyone practially "parallel parking". There's only about 4' - 5' of clearance between my bow pulpit and the neighbor's stern and about the same amount between my stern and lift. Inches matter in these situations so I thought my idea was logical. I'm sure after all these years and with all these handy people in the world, someone's already made a good design of this idea, I just haven't seen it yet.

Mark SF

Seaman
Re: Controlling the OB with the rudder?

i was simply taught to use both arms and move the o/b and tiller together, when docking.

emoney

Commander

That link, ^^^, is for connecting two outboards or an IO to a kicker. I was thinking something that is removable and can clamp from a rudder to a 'kicker'. Maybe I'll just have to design one and get to fabricating.

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I knew what the link was for. I was tossing out an idea. If you got the one for OB to kicker you would be close. If I were doing this I would pattern my rig on
these peoples' design. Post pics when you get it done. good luck GH

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

I find it easier to control if I can steer the tiller and occasionally (like pulling out from a dock) turn the OB independently. I'd think you'd lose some of that "fine tuning" ability if rudder and motor were linked.

emoney

Commander

That's why I want it to be easily removable from the cockpit.
It's the docking that I would find it necessary, and mainly because of
my current situation. I'm going to experiment this weekend, so I 'll
let you know how it works.

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know this is an old thread...but I found it searching another topic and noticed it was "un-finished" so to speak

I bought a 1981 Venture 23 and it came with this connection between the outboard and the tiller. It has "quick-connects" (look like air-hose fittings) and a bar between the motor and the tiller. I think it is normally used between a kicker and large outboard like on a fishin boat.

It works well when motoring at low speeds, and especially in reverse

Just in case anyone ever needs to see it can be done.

Cheers
Dave

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

I use both hands in close quarters but I've never seen a "product" like that. It would be simple enough to fabricate...especially with the photo Dave just provided. You could make that in a day with the right parts.

walkin_man

Cadet

I saw a guy (keel hung rudder though) that had a line and pulley system on the outboard running to the tiller, like windvane controls. Said it worked very well, but I don't think he was disconnecting it. It could be easily done though. Being that you've an transom hung rudder maybe this is overkill but it's just an idea.

Cheers,

Paul

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Look and see how they attach kickers to main outboards on power boats.
I made up a linkage with a couple hose clamps, a few pieces of 3/8 pipe and used a air chuck to connect them on my fishing boat.
The rod was a pieces of almn. All was purchased at Lowes for less then $25, where as you can buy pretty much the same thing for over $100.
Once you see how some people made them, it's easy.
Or, on my Mariner, I'm a 2 armed docker, so my rudder doesn't get MORE prop rash!
Joe