Skunk 11 Gunter Rig help

mill1105

Cadet
I was just given a 11 foot sailing dingy. It is Gunter rigged. I have been searching for information to set the sails up.

I am having trouble setting the tension in the main sail and getting the angle of the gaff right. I only have one metal hoop connecting mast to the gaff. Also the boom just hooks on to the mast and is free floating. I am not understanding how to set the tension in the sail with everything floating and the halyard connecting to the gaff.

This picture is not much help.
imagehelper.asp

My experience has been on larger boats and I guess I am over complicating this simple setup. Any pictures or information would be appreciated.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Skunk 11 Gunter Rig help

I am having trouble setting the tension in the main sail and getting the angle of the gaff right. I only have one metal hoop connecting mast to the gaff. Also the boom just hooks on to the mast and is free floating.
Without pictures of your actual rigging I'm going to take a shot at what I think this boat would rig like.

Halyard (pink) is tied on the gaff at a particular location. You may need to experiment to find the right spot.

If the boom doesn?t have a bail to attach the halyard, tie the halyard on using a Boom Hitch.

Raise the sail (A) to its highest point on the mast, but not so tight against the mast the boom gets lifted above vertical (B).

Using a downhaul line (green), snug the boom downward (C) for the sail tension you desire.

sk1bp.jpg

On boats with a fixed boom the downhaul adjustment is accomplished using the Cunningham. This rig, with it's floating boom uses a downhaul line. It's the same adjustment only a slightly different method.

:)

mill1105

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I was on the right track. My boom does has a bail at the end.

I just need to figure out how to attach the main sheet line. There is a fairlead at the end of boom. I was thinking is was part of a outhaul setup, but there is no fairlead at the top of the the gaff. My boom only has an attachment point for the downhaul line.

If I get it going I will post some pics. Vandestadt & McGruer must have built a few thousand of these and I am sure every summer a few are brought back to life. It might help others as there is nothing coming up doing a Google search.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just need to figure out how to attach the main sheet line. There is a fairlead at the end of boom. I was thinking is was part of a outhaul setup, but there is no fairlead at the top of the the gaff. My boom only has an attachment point for the downhaul line.
If you would like further assistance figuring out the rigging, post some pictures of these views:

skunkpics.jpg
  • Gaff top
  • Sail head
  • Boom
  • Detail of boom ends
  • Mast where it meets the deck - to show any cleats available
  • Cockpit where mainsheet and jib sheets are controled from
  • Transom showing any mainsheet bridle/traveler
  • Any other item you may have a question about

The equipment can simply be laid out on the ground for this purpose.

mill1105

Cadet

Well I was able to go out. Next time I will tie the sail closer to the boom to get more tension in the sail. The whole time out there was to much of a wave in the sail approximately where the numbers are when underway. Also I could never get the hoop to seat tight against the mast. Maybe I had the halyard pulled up too high.

I still don't see how the main sheet line is set up. To go out I just tied on to the mast and through a fairlead on the boom and then to cams on the transom. The little hoops on the transom are a clue on how it should be rigged. I might be missing a cleat on the board over the centerboard. It probably rotted out many times over the life of the boat. I just epoxied the old holes and put a board I had sitting around.

It's a fun little boat. I also rowed up the river when the wind died down. If I can find a 2.5/3.5 hp motor with the tank enclosed on top for cheap I would put it on.
Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 13

mill1105

Cadet

A few more details.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 10

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for putting the time and effort into making those photos.

Here are some suggestions I believe will help.

96494393.jpg

The foot of the sail may brush the boom with it tied in closer - that's ok. With wind in the sail it will curve away.

20843700.jpg

The current placement of the mainsheet block & cam, if you'll pardon me, is a real cluster f---. How can you steer? Changing tack must be a circus.

My idea is to mount it to the top of the center board trunk at the aft end. The block I recommend you add to the boom would be placed directly over that location when the boom is amidship.

60944111.jpg

71501081.jpg

If you choose to take any of my suggestions and would like clarification, just ask.

Everything I've outlined is textbook and can also be found various places around the Net or in books on dinghy sailing.

mill1105

Cadet

Thanks for the advise, it is very helpful.

I will make the adjustments to the sail and I actually have some bunks leftover from an old boat cradle.

I am just curious as to the original setup of the mainsheet. The block and cam are riveted and are original, as are those loops on the transom. I hope they are sturdy enough to tie the traveler to.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am just curious as to the original setup of the mainsheet. The block and cam are riveted and are original, as are those loops on the transom. I hope they are sturdy enough to tie the traveler to.
You are welcome

It looks original, but it also could be owners were given the task of rigging the boat one of a couple of ways and someone got very confused.

I can find no logic to the hardware back there. The location interferes with the tiller and even if you rig some sort of cat's cradle through those rings to find a way around that problem, the mainsheet swivel is in an absurd position for its function.

I have seen something close, but the block you have is the wrong type and for a dinghy the line tangle when the mainsheet is let out for a run downwind would not be fun to deal with. My thought is keep it simple and fun to sail, not try and emmulate some turn of the 19th century fishing scow that required many crew to handle the lines.

mainsheet.jpg

Imagine how much line is out when the boom is 90 degrees to the boat.

Another "close, but not quite the same"

ExpressPirateMainsheet.jpg

I would abandon any thought of using those rings. Instead I'd mount two eye straps on the transom lip with machine screws, fastened through the lip by a backing consisting of a 3/32" metal bar or good wide washers, and nylock nuts.

My location choice for the eye straps would be inboard from the transom corners 3" - 6". To these eye straps I'd tie the bridle line. That would be a very common setup and give the tiller max room to swing.

rig5-4.jpg

mill1105

Cadet

Thanks again. I'll rig up something like the picture below. It will take a few weeks. I'll post the results.

Attachments

• 32457d1245014343-sailing-dinghy-sailboard-daisy1a.jpg
    32457d1245014343-sailing-dinghy-sailboard-daisy1a.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again. I'll rig up something like the picture below. It will take a few weeks. I'll post the results.
That's my idea of simplicity.

If you put a block w/beckett

51583.jpg

where your current boom block is and use the current one for the forward block you will only need to add one eye strap.

Saves drilling extra holes in the boom.

bwb1.jpg