This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alumacraft fiberglass sailboat

I happen to have bought an S 12 and have some pictures! How do u poswt pistures?

Comment

Originally posted by sheshr View Post
      How do u post pistures?

Start a Reply

Look below the reply window for the Additional Options window.

Click the Manage Attachments button

Upload from your computer

OR

If your pictures are in an on-line album, click on the Insert Image icon ( ) and put in the URL for a picture.

Comment

Pictures would be great. I might end up making a new hull for it, or just selling whats left, but either way it would be nice to know what they look like.

Comment

i have an ALPEX S-12 with original sail that i have had for many years and never use. I also have the sales brochure listing specs and list price of $545. My boat is listed at http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/boa/1923854153.html if you want to take a look at the pics for reference.

Comment

Hi, I just picked up an Alpex S-12, it may have even been the one on the Craigslist listing above. I got it for a good price but there is no rigging for it and I can't figure it out. Any insights would be helpful. It is 12 feet long, 4 feet wide, has a 10 foot boom and a 18 foot mast. Some pictures are at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5778716...th/5317625676/. Pictures of the rigging would be nice if anyone has such. I'm up for a challenge but could use some clues.

Thanks

Comment

My brother has a blue/white sail, mast and boom for the S-12, boat was stolen many years ago. I'm sure he would sell cheap, if anyone wants to pick it up in Waseca, MN

Comment

I have an Alumacraft S-12 (pictures) and an Alumacraft S-14, both were missing jibs when I got them and both needed extensive repair and sail repair, but they are fun and easy to sail. And they have to be the easiest boats to rig. The S-12, being a dry-cavity boat, is fun to tip over. I even turtled it once (mast straight down into water). Just be sure the downhaul is on or your mast and sail will sink to the floor. My S-12 is surprisingly heavy. It is balanced so I can stand it up on its side so the deck is past straight up and down (a little more than 90 degrees from horizontal) and it will tip back right side up.

The pictures are of the S-12 boat and I tipped it over so you can see the hull and daggerboard. Even tipped over it sits high in the water. The mast is filled with styrofoam to help avoid sinking/turtling when you capsize.

Trying to sell it by the way if anyone's interested. I don't use it and my dad wants to fix up the S-14 so he can have legroom to sit upright and be more comfortable.

Attached Files

Comment

Here's some pictures of the rigging and how to rig it. The pictures are from the bow to the stern the last three follow the path of the mainsheet. You can put a screwlink on the aft hull (like I did in the last picture) so you don't have to run the mainsheet through every time all you have to do is unscrew the screwlink and the sail will come off. You can see the mainsheet goes from your hand, to the block in the middle of the boom, back to the first block, down to the block on the screwlink, and back up to clip to the end of the boom. This gives you a slight mechanical advantage and allows you to control the sail from the middle so the boom is more likely to stay down.
                  Attached Files

Comment

All, Thanks for the awesome pictures of the Aplex S-12. Some one gave me one, of course no sail. I have contacted the MILLS Canvas comply to see if the still make sails. If anyone has a set for sail I am definatly interested!!

Greg

Comment

I contacted the original maker of the sails, J W Mills Awning Company and the no longer have the pattern for the S-12 sail. So does nyone have one for sale? Does some one have the sail dimensions so I could make a new one. Clearly I have the Hull mast etc but no sail!

Comment

It says in the original sales brochure that the centerboard pivots? Mine has a bolt and a slot but the board seems to be larger than the housing so it won't pivot....am I missing something? Does yours pivot?

Comment

Originally posted by silverharbour View Post
                          It says in the original sales brochure that the centerboard pivots? Mine has a bolt and a slot but the board seems to be larger than the housing so it won't pivot....am I missing something? Does yours pivot?
                          yes, it should pivot if someone hasn't tightened the bolt too much. In the up position the bolt will be in the aft part of the slot. As the centerboard pivots down, it needs to move aft along the slot to allow the forward bottom corner of the centerboard to come up through the neck. In other words, it needs to slide along the slot as it pivots or it won't fit. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0344.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	100567Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0345.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	100568 Where did you find the original sales brochure?

i'm trying to sell mine, out of MN

Comment

Re: Alumacraft S 14 RUDDER

Hi Everyone I am new to this Thread and a buddy and I are working to restore his S 14. We need the Rudder or plans to fabricate one and I am wondering if anyone could steer us in the right direction as to where we could obtain one or plans so we could make one. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Comment

Re: Alumacraft S 14

Hi, i am well versed in the world of canoeing and kayaking and have been a lifelong fan of sailing but am rather new to the world of sailboat ownership and maitenence. i have a s-14 Alumacraft, i would like to mount a motor on it, was wondering if anyone has done this? I have a 9.9HP Tohatsu i would like to use, is the stern of the s-14 thick enough? or even rated for a motor bracket? i have an aluminum adjustable external motor mount that i would like to use as well, i'm really not sure where to start? do i mount the motor offset? or can i mount the motor midline and then mount the rudder offset? does that even make sense? again forgive my ignorance as im new to this and learning on this boat as its cheap and affordable before i make a bigger investment in a larger sailboat, any help would be great!

Comment

Re: Alumacraft S 14 RUDDER

i can send you pic's of the rudder on mine with measurements and such? seems like a straight forward project to build!

Comment

Working...
                                X