Searching For Information About a Tiny Trimaran Sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormwind

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

When I was in high school (about 15 years ago), I lived near a lake, and one summer I learned to sail a tiny trimaran that I'm now looking for any information about. (I had to get rid of it when we moved 5 years ago, because there was no room for it.) But now my circumstances have changed, and I'd love to find one just like it:

It was no more than 8 to 10 feet long, and about 7 feet wide, very heavy, dark blue with a white top, made of fiberglass. The middle hull looked and felt just like you were sitting in a bathtub. The two side hulls were connected to the middle one by a solid, flat deck that you could sit on. The boat's controls were just a metal rudder/tiller, and a lateen Sunfish-style sail. It didn't have a daggerboard, if I remember right.

It was old - I only paid $250 for it - but it was fast, and never once felt like it would tip over. It was a perfect beginner's sailboat, and I had a lot of fun with it.

I've already searched the internet and google images, but haven't found a small trimaran that comes close to this. It wasn't anything like a "Windrider" -I already checked their website. I suspect that the kind I used to have is no longer in production. I don't have any pictures to post, but if this sounds familiar to anyone, I'd appreciate any information you could give me (brand, model, manufacturer, etc.) so I could start searching for a used one.

Thank You!

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Searching For Information About a Tiny Trimaran Sailboat

Sounds like a Snark Triumph

Sail emblem is three inverted triangles

\/\/\/

Made by Snark, now Myers Boat Co., but I don't believe the Triumph is made any longer.

Attachments

• Copy of 7f_3a.jpg
    Copy of 7f_3a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy of ef_3.jpg
    Copy of ef_3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy of 90_3.jpg
    Copy of 90_3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

Stormwind

Recruit

THAT'S IT!!!!!!

Thank you, saildan! :D

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

No Problem - It was about the only boat that fit that description.

I can imagine that Snark was fun as a kid, but as an adult (if you can locate one) you may find it underbuilt and somewhat limiting. I would recommend you make a step up to something of a more serious boat that you can still get parts for.

The Hobie Bravo comes to mind as a similar design using sturdier materials. And these days I don't think there's anything else out there in this size category. Or go with something like a Sunfish.

gallery_14_lr.jpg

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sailed a Bravo on Lake Merriweather at Goshen Scout Reservation. It's a great
little boat for one on two people.

artisthos

Recruit

I have a 1968 Triumph. I am working to get it seaworthy. I took the top off. The foam and wood waterlogged. I will rebuild it with aluminum where the wood was. The foam has dried out. Initially I want to turn it into a rowboat and then add the sail and newly built rudder. I have a 3hp B&S horizontal shaft that I want add as a long tail. It should look crazy when I am done.

artisthos

Recruit

I am in the process of rebuilding one and look forward to hearing from others who have them. I am making two oars for it and looking. With a 5' beam it needs 8-1/2" oars!

slyde55

Recruit

This is ironic as I just purchased a Triumph in Colorado from a fine old fellow from Green Bay, WI. He said he bought it new at Montgomery Ward in early 70's. It had been sitting in his yard near Estes Park, CO for years. I purchased it for $25 and it only had minor hairline cracks on outer pontoons. I just dropped it in the water Sunday to see if it would float. Oh my, not only does it float it rocks! Had a light 7mph breeze until the typical thunderstorm passed nearby. Whitecaps and puffs up to 15-18mph came and the Triumph was on its way. I actually had to sit out on edge a wee bit and near the stern since it had a tendency to pitch down near the leeward bow. What a blast this thing is. As the seller said I sat my behind in the bottom of the 'bathtub' style cockpit when wind was light for a relaxed sit.

Can't wait to improve it a bit over the Winter. The sail definitely needs a sleeve added to keep the sail adjacent to the mast. Sail on Triumph owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.