Want a fast sailboat for Vermont lake sailing

sarlumac

Recruit
I'm looking to buy a used sailboat to keep on Lake Bomoseen in vermont. i want a fast boat that will go even on light air days (and will go really fast on heavy air days). I'd prefer not to pay more than $2,000. i do want a boat that will take up to 4 persons. So far I am looking at a Hobie (or similar catamaran) 18ft boat, and am looking at a AMF Apollo 16 ft. boat (similar to a Laser). I'd appreciate any advice on these or possibly other options.

CalicoJack

Cadet
Re: Want a fast sailboat for Vermont lake sailing

You probably would not like the Hobie on light air days and the other boat is a bit small for any crew. There used to be a Lightning fleet on that lake. I would look and see if there are any of those laying around. Good performance boat the can take 4-5 people and with the spinnaker is a blast in the breeze.

rkarran

Cadet

Is there other sailing activity on the same lake or somewhere else in the area? Any yacht or sailing clubs? If so, get the same thing they are sailing. Fast is relative, and it's always fun to race againest other similar boats, and that also helps your resale value....to have a popular boat.

Four people will load down most boats in the under $2k price range. Even four people on a Hobie 18 in a breeze is a boatload, and would be difficult to get around. It's made for two, but three would still work fine, but would still affect performance.

The Lightning previously mentioned, or a Flying Scot might be a good choice for a monohull. Both are made for three, but like the Hobie, four could go in a pinch. Everything FEELS fast in a breeze!!

divimon2000

Seaman

Chrysler Buccaneer of 70's 80's vintage. Hard to find this time of year but they are out there. I just sold one beauty with trailer for $1,700.

Buzzwindrip

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, a Buc is a good choice. A Ray Greene designed Rebel is a fun boat with a huge cockpit for it's size. For that matter, a Mutineer can be sailed with four in the cockpit, but will fly with two.

moi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've got a Chrysler Buccaneer that I've been planning to sell (too old for it anymore). It's can be fast in a breeze & any Buc would be great for club racing, if you're inclined, or just cruising.

Pete
:)

Yacht Davits

Banned

If you are looking for speed dont go for Hobie your second choice is good for both light air days and heavy air days.

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Light air + easily driven hull + large sail area= multihull. Find yourself a Prindle
or a Nacra or a Boston Whaler Super Cat. The new Hobie line up in nice.
A Stiletto 27 is nice in light air and a rocket in a breeze.
The original Hobie 14 and 16 were cool but lacked buoyancy they are easy
to overload.
If you want boat speed in light air get a multihull. GH