Want to start sailing

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've had power boats for more than 10 years and want to get into sailing but I think my needs and wants exceed what a new sailor can handle. I will be taking sailing classes before buying a boat but am looking for any recommendations or websites that may help me decide what may be the best boat for my situation.

What I'm looking for is something that is relatively easy to sail for someone just getting started but capable of carrying at least 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) and possibly sleeping 4. My eventual goal is to sail up and down the east coast but I understand that I will likely have to upgrade boats before then. I would like to be able to spend overnites or weekends on the first boat while getting used to sailing it.

There seem to be a ton of used 25-27' boats with small outboards in my price range but would something this size be too much for a beginner? Does a boat this size require a crew of more than one to sail?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Want to start sailing

as an avid sailor for many years
i suggest a boat 21' or 24'. they usually have a smaller cabin enough for 4 people and for an overnight. You can sail them by yourself and they are easy to handle.
I started with a San Juan 21'. Racer/Cruiser. Great Boat, Very, Very Easy to sail alone and with the family as the cockpit is very big (for the racing aspect) and it has an adjustable keel in case you want to go to shallow water.
I suggest looking for a boat with an adjustable keel because you get the best of both worlds, Shoal Draft depth (when cranked up) and Deep Draft Pointing (when all the way down). The boat i have when entirely cranked up gives you a 1.5' keel. and when all the way down 5'. And you can adjust it with the winch inside.

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Want to start sailing

I now have an idea of where to start. There appear to be a couple in my area but they're all older. I may start looking at them soon.

Thanks!