Fish off a sailboat

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fish off a sailboat

Way back when . . ., before the age of pwer boats . . .

Sorry, I had to go there.

KiwiMattchoo

Recruit

We used to fish off our old Yacht a Farr 9.2 all the time, the best we got was a 50kg yellow fin tuna, caught a couple of 60lb king fish and some rather large Mako sharks, heaps of bottom fish as well, Snapper, John Dory, Hapuku,Trevally, Kahawai the list is endless, sometimes especially while trolling we would attach a long painter ready to extend on the tender we towed to let it drift away from the back of the boat a bit to give us more room to boat the fish, then just luff up into the wind and fight the fish out the back, we could even do the tiller and boom on the same side trick to back around to keep the fish behind us(hold the boom by hand and push it across)

Soundbounder

Banned

I had a 24 ft sailboat and now have a 30 foot sailboat. I have always kept a pole on board. Sometimes I have lost fish directly due to the fact that I was on a sailboat, but I have also caught a lot of fish.
Another thing to keep in mind is that I fish alone. I am not inviting a couple of friends on board to go fishing. It wouldn't be practical.
Heck, there are guys fishing in kayaks these days.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

When the wife and I had our most excellent 2yr "adventure" sailing the caribbean, central and south america that's exactly how we always "ate". Even when on a mooring we had a line or two in the water unless we already had plenty of fish, but anytime we were underway we were trolling.

The vast majority of our catches were "catch and release" though as we almost never were "out" of fresh fish.

Oh and we caught lots of them in the dead of night..... go figure.

nfrnkish

Cadet

I've just sold my fast 16ft cuddy fisher and bought a 17ft keelboat, for th express purpose of fishing (and sailing). The boat is a re-creation of a turn of the (last) century coastal fishing boat from the last days of working sail. I will have to trail to all the more distant fishing grounds, and get used to a slower-paced form of fishing, but it'll be more relaxing than bouncing through a chop at 20 odd knots..

Wind Wizard

Cadet

We fish off are sail boat all the time it's perfect speed for Ocean fishing.And we can adjust are sails for lake Erie fishing(or drop and pearch) Just takes us longer to get to the were the fish are

The Mutt

Cadet

The speed while under sail and not racing is pretty good for leaving a hook out back, for those that have yet to come across a different way of fishing, Google " Kite Fishing", I'll be giving it a go in the New Year, an interesting way to get multiple hooks out when at anchor or on a beach.

Glenn
Sailing on "Imagine"

a 1997 Macgregor 26X with Force 40 on the back.