Sailing in Moonlight.........

KVC

Recruit
Sailing in moonlight, especially a full moon, is something every sailor should experience. Even local waters can seem unfamiliar at night. But pleasures of night sailing don't come without certain inherent difficulties and concerns. The most obvious aspect—the lack of light—calls for prudent seamanship and a careful, attentive approach to navigation. One obvious benefit of being comfortable with night sailing is the increased distance you'll be able to travel in your craft. You just have to be more alert.

capedave

Cadet
Re: Sailing in Moonlight.........

Another pluss is there normaly are very few other boats out at night. One night while sailing back into Bass River MA the channel was all lit up under water I was under sail, thought a car had run off the ramp at the Yarmouth side at the entrance to the river. Nope it was a couple of divers in the midle of the river at night!!! Makes you wonder what thoes divers thought as my keel went flying buy him silenty???

501ZP

Cadet

I've got an O'day Mariner that my wife and I sail almost exclusively at night on our lake. It is spectacular to go out at sunset and return after the moon is up. Take some time to star gaze. You will catch some great sights. Finally introduced some friends with an Ericson in Quincy to sail at night. They always sailed during the day, and now we do the fireworks in Boston every year. Just use your head, common sense and don't panic.

Joe Botz

Cadet

I sail mostly at night, after work its a great time to sail in all weather.

Old Salt Oz

Seaman

I love night sailing, less heat, fewer distractions, less traffic.

We also deliver boats up and down the east coast of Australia, so night sailing helps get to our destinations on time.

The only time we avoid night sailing is if heavy rain is forecast, not good for comm's, GPS or comfort. Better to drop the pick and have a good rest till dawn.

Night sailing in 15 to 20 knots is fantastic.

Avagoodweekend......

CaptainChunk

Recruit

The few times that I've sailed at night I experienced a strange emotional duality. I was overwhelmingly relaxed and panicked simultaneously! Sailing at night on Lake Tahoe is nice because you can get out in the middle of the lake and not worry about any other boats quite as much. I've never seen so many stars as I did when I was sailing on Lake Tahoe at around 10:30pm.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

The few times that I've sailed at night I experienced a strange emotional duality. I was overwhelmingly relaxed and panicked simultaneously! Sailing at night on Lake Tahoe is nice because you can get out in the middle of the lake and not worry about any other boats quite as much. I've never seen so many stars as I did when I was sailing on Lake Tahoe at around 10:30pm.

Try the middle of the Gulf of Mexico in early spring.... no lights from shore and once your eyes become adjusted you'd be shocked at how well you can see in just starlight much less if the moon is up.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

With light winds, you can hear city sounds for seemingly miles. Night sailing with a full moon has been by far some of my most memorable sails!

MAS

South_Bound

Cadet

I love sailing at night as others have mentioned the stars are incredible. If you ever can time it right head out during a meteor shower, now that is incredible!

islanddreamer

Recruit

I love to leave the office, go get on the boat and sail right through the sunset and into the early evening. Kinda puts everything else into perspective.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I'm a stinkpotter but your post caught me. It says it all in just a couple of words. It doesn't matter what the hull is: Cruising or sailing on a warm, clear night with your main squeeze by your side and a light breeze blowing her fiery titian hair lit by the moon---That's temptation to make another baby.