Super porpoise

Just aquired a super porpoise sail boat need help on rigging.evrything is there i was told but cant figure out where it goes.i have pictures of sunfish rigging but my boat is different.pictures would be awsome as i am not familier wit sailling terms.thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Maybe you can post a few pictures after you have a few more posts under your belt.

It is basically a Sunfish clone, as you know. Everything may not be there if things are not making sense.

There are only 2 lines needed

1) Sheet - controls the sail

2) Halyard - raises the sail up the mast and holds it in place.

There should be a daggarboard and a rudder with tiller attached.

Here are a few pictures that I made some notations on. IF your boat does not seem to have all of these things, then you may be missing some pieces.

Sailboat-Dolphin-hull.jpg

sunfish-dagger1.jpg
basic-rigging.png

Attachments

• Sailboat-Dolphin-hull.jpg
    Sailboat-Dolphin-hull.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thank you for your responce it was very helpfull.i think i have this where i can attempt sailing..
I wa ted to upload some pic's with couple more questions but it keeps telling me file exceeds amount of bytes that is allowed dont know how to fix this.one more question the rudfer on this boat is solid i mean it wont lift.how do you beach this boat without scrapeing rudder on bottom.wanted to srnd pics to show my rudder asembly.again thanks for your time.
Miguel

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Miguel:

You need one more post before you can upload photos. There's a tutorial on photos HERE.

The rudder (on the stern) should tilt up some, but perhaps not easily (the assemblies tend to get kinda' gummed up). The daggerboard (center of boat) will need to be pulled before you come shallow. The daggerboard doesn't move, it's either in or out (and you can with practice sail with a dagger board out).

Remember too that this is considered a wet sailer - if you're in shallow enough water to scrape the rudder, the assumption is you're shallow enough to get out - pull the rudder off - and drag the boat on shore ;)

Thank you i went back out there and the rudder was just stuck i loosened it now it will tilt up.I will try figure out how to upload pics.thanks again for your patiance with a newbie
Miguel

Thank you tepnfield your diagram was really helpful i went sailing and had a blast.the boom on my boat was really low like it hit me about mid chest im big fella and had trouple getting under it when i turned.what is normal height from boom to hull??
Miguel

tpenfield

Staff member
Thank you tepnfield your diagram was really helpful i went sailing and had a blast.the boom on my boat was really low like it hit me about mid chest im big fella and had trouple getting under it when i turned.what is normal height from boom to hull??
Miguel

Generally, the boom is about 30" (0.75 m) up from the deck. Most folks have to duck under it as they turn the boat onto a new 'tack'. If you don't duck your head, then you find out why it is called the 'boom'.

Than ks for your help still haveing trouble posting pictures is there any other way to get a picture to you? There is a little hook back of the (dont know what to call area your feet sit) anyway a small hook on back side.ends up under rudder handle when you going straight.is it for secureing the rudder? And if so how and when do you use it?and yes i do realize about the(boom) and ducking my head but i was haveing to duck my whole body that gets me all tangled up with sheet then looseing the handle to rudder.funny stuff if you were watching im sure.lol
So is it ok to raise sail so all i have to do is duck my head? Thanks again for your time and ill keep trying to post picture i want evryone to see what i have down here in georgia.

hello southkogs been on your thread about uploading pics to the forum never have I had so much trouble uploading pics.wont let me ask questions on that thread I guess its closed.ive tried all the options and run into something evry time I cant figure out and wont let me ask questions.pictures that are on my comp.it wants urls what exactly is that?or it ask me to pick pic from album but I don't have anything in my album.How do I create an album??or one option tells me my picture is to large or to many bytes.Really getting frustrated oh I found last night how to make pcture smaller resolution but then it wanted a url or album.really feeling comp.ilitarate.ok sorry for my ramblings is there an open thread I can ask questions about all this?thanks for listening.Miguel

20170922_181423_resized_opt.jpg
took me all day but I got pictures on here yay!! now can anyone tell me what that gadget ithere is for with the black grips for??

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Glad ya' got it Miguel ... Sorry I wasn't much help earlier. I had kind of a busy day.

The "gizmo" is called a cam cleat. Basically if you pull a line toward you, you can lock the cleat and it'll hold the line. When you need to release it, just pull up on the line. If I'm reading things right, the red line coming through the pulley from the mast is your main sheet. That feeds through the gate into the cam cleat. When you trim the main through the cam cleat and when you've got it where you want it, you can let go of the sheet. When you need to let the main back out, just pull up on the sheet to release it from the cleat.

tpenfield

Staff member
Now that you have figured out the picture posting, perhaps you can post a few more pictures from further back so we can see more of the boat, and in particular, raise the sail and post a few pictures of the setup.

I am not sure why the red line is attached up at the mast or the Gooseneck . . . sort of hard to see.

20170927_093304_resized[1].jpg20170927_093321_resized[1].jpg20170927_100706_resized[1].jpg20170927_103632_resized[1].jpg20170927_100655_resized[1].jpgHope these pictures are good.To southkogs the cam cleat in picture I know what it does my question is which line goes threw it?also that little hook in one of pictures I assume is to secure rudder?if so what do you secure it with and why.?the other pictures showing how they had sheet secured not sure if all that is correct and what is purpose of pully on rear traveler doesn't look to me like it does anything.fnally does my sail look like its high enough from deck? anyways this is what I got any pointers or suggestions are welcome

tpenfield

Staff member
The red line . . . it should not run to the block on the mast. Not sure why the block is there. The red line should go straight from the block on the boom down to the cam cleat block in the foot well.

​You will have better control of the sail with that change.

southkogs

Staff member
That hook might well be to hold the tiller in the "straight ahead" position. I wonder if the block on the mast and the cam cleat on the foredeck is for raising and lowering the main sail.

Thanks guys I will change the red rope straight down to block .as for the cleft on the deck I'll just leave it alone for now.
is there somewhere I could download owners manual on something this old ?

southkogs

Staff member
Do some Google and eBay searchin' ... otherwise, there's probably not an active site dedicated to it.

SPembleton

Recruit
Where are you located? If you are nearby, i can show you how to rig it

Last edited: