Hudson Force 50 (Ford Lehman 120hp)

ken.rinkor

Recruit
I just bought a Hudson Force 50 with a Ford Lehman 120hp motor. My question is; does anyone know what the top speed while motoring? What is a good cruise speed using just the motor. The reason I ask is it needs repair to it's main mast and I need to transport it from Maryland to North Carolina using just the motor.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

Might try doing a Google search on the hull speed for a Hudson Force 50. You're gonna' wind up in that zone no matter how many ponies are behind it. I was seeing numbers around 7.5 kts, but I don't know much about that boat.

ken.rinkor

Recruit
Thank you for your response.

Most of what I have google has been the 6-8 knot cruise speed. But because she is without sail I have to move her with just the motor. I would expect the motor speed is going to be faster than 6-8 knots. I was hoping someone who has a similar size sailboat with a Ford Lehman 120hp motor could give me an idea of how fast she can travel with just the motor.

southkogs

Staff member
It may not do much better without the sails. I think the 7.5 to 8 kts is the hull speed ... technically, the hull doesn't go much faster than that no matter whatcha' push it with. Practically that's not the case, I realize. Toss a turbine on it, and it'll fly :) But you'll probably not get too much more than the hull speed outta' the screw.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't think you'd get much better than maybe 8 knots for a 50 foot displacement hull. That seems like a very large motor - it is an inboard gasoline engine? Not sure what the recommended cruising RPMs are, but you should probably test the speed at the recommended RPM.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think you'd get much better than maybe 8 knots for a 50 foot displacement hull. That seems like a very large motor - it is an inboard gasoline engine? Not sure what the recommended cruising RPMs are, but you should probably test the speed at the recommended RPM.

The Lehman is a diesel engine. That boat has a 39' waterline which would result in a hull speed around 8.4 knots. Assuming the prop and hull are relatively clean, that motor should have no problem making the hull speed. You can save some fuel by running a knot or so under hull speed or save some time by pushing it about .5 knots above hull speed but that is about as much as you can expect. I assume you are going to take the Intercoastal Waterway or the Great Dismal Swamp Canal, in either case you will save a lot of time by having your mast down and not having to wait for bridge openings..

ken.rinkor

Recruit
Thank you all for your responses. Your information has been a great help.

I have been thinking of creating a Facebook page to document the refit. She's a beautiful ship when she first sailed. I hope to bring her back to better than she was with some added latest and greatest electronics as well.

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky.
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
- John Masefield

carver 36

Cadet
Thank you all for your responses. Your information has been a great help.

I have been thinking of creating a Facebook page to document the refit. She's a beautiful ship when she first sailed. I hope to bring her back to better than she was with some added latest and greatest electronics as well.

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky.
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
- John Masefield

Ken, did you make the trip OK? Did you start you Facebook page on the restore? She does have beautiful lines. I am thinking about doing the same thing with a Formosa Ketch, which also has a bad mast. Mast is wooden box constructed. Im trying to find a yard on the West Coast of Florida that works on wooden masts.

southkogs

Staff member
ken.rinkor if you can update us:

carver 36 - if you've not done so, please read our forum rules. We ask that you not post to topics over 90 days old unless you're the OP. If you want to move your questions to a new topic, that'll likely get you some help on those.

I'll leave this topic open and see if we can get an update from Ken. He hasn't been by in a few months though ...