Water in Bilge - C470

HawkeyePierce

Recruit
I have a 2003 Catalina 470. There always seems to be some water in the bilge. Has anyone experienced the same? Thanks.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Could be from a lot of places,A leaky thru-hull, a fresh water line leak, a loose deck fitting, the list goes on. Simple rain water could be getting in someplace, Even seen a few that had a loose keel, and water would seep in from below. All you can do is dry it up, and look for any traces of water leaks. And make sure your bilge pump is working properly. I personally haven't seen to many boats that did not have some water there.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard. Once you pump the water out, how long does it take to fill back up? I'm wondering if you've got a leak somewhere.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just another thought, What kind of stuffing box is on the driveshaft? If not a dripless stuffing box, it's probably a flax packing. They are supposed to drip a bit under normal conditions. If it's leaking to much, you snug it up, just not so much it that it gets hot while under way.

HawkeyePierce

Recruit
Thanks for all of your inputs. It seems to only get water in the bilge when I am underway. I have a dripless stuffing box. I drained all of the fresh water tanks but still get water in the bilge when sailing.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Then I'd be checking everything while underway, from the dripless through the front of the motor, including thru hulls, pumps, and another place to look is in the head, or any sinks that drain through a thru hull.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Does the leak happen only sailing (heeled over) or also motoring ( no heel). Could be a vent or drain ( cockpit drain) if only when heeled.
Try drying bilge, sprinkle talcum power around the bilge and go sailing. Check for water traces while under way. Check after each tack to see if you can see if it is only on the port or starboard tack.
Also your head may ' overflow' on a tack or water tank?

Good luck.

Last edited: