Thinking of getting back into Sailing..Looking for small boat..REALLYneed advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeukaFam

Cadet
Recently, I've had the urge to get back into sailing, just for the pure enjoyment of it, and also to introduce my kids to it. I used to sail small boats from grade school thru college (now 40+ ). Was going to use my old Snark Sunflower which I saved all these years until a 60ft cherry tree fell this last fall and cut her in half!!! Anyway, the wife and I have a place on Keuka lake in the Finger lakes NY, and I was thinking about trying to find something. What I'd been looking for would be..... preferably, a really stable dry sailer (not interested in racing, just want a something to relax & putt around the lake), needs to have the capacity of carrying myself, and at least two others. Even though, I'd probably trailer it, I prefer something light enough that two people could move. Also My experience is only Lateen rigging, but I'd be open to sloop rigging, if it's simple and quick to rig (read...for complete newbies). Also looking for something used, and inexpensive. I'm having difficulty getting the wife to authorize, since I'm also working on getting a pontoon also. I appeal to your superior knowledge.....does such a boat exist?

tpenfield

Staff member
O'Day Daysailor 17 foot might be something to try. If you want something with a bit more freeboard and a tiny cubby space, then a Lockley Newport 17 might be something to consider, but they are not as plentiful as the O'Day boats.

I have the O'Day Mariner, it is 19 feet and 1400 lbs so might be too big.

I'd look in the 15-17 foot range.

KeukaFam

Cadet
What are your feelings on the lockley seawitch (snark sunchaser), O'day javelin, or amf zuma....would any of those boats fit my needs...or is there something else. I'm really thinking anything over 15' might be too big for now.

southkogs

Staff member
Three people in something like the Lockley would be kinda' tight I think. We had a Capri 14.2 and with three people on board it could get a little cozy. That Capri was a nice boat if you can find one of those.

That said ... I did get a kick outta' sailing smaller boats like the Lockley or a Sunfish. But always planned on getting a little wet in 'em.

tpenfield

Staff member
You can go smaller if you are concerned about the 15-17 foot boats being too big. The Javelin is OK . . . also the Catalina Capri 14.2 is a fairly popular boat. Those boats are kind of in between the Sunfish and the bigger boats with tiny cuddy cabins. They will be a bit more 'tippy', but are easier to launch and sail.

If you sailed for years in your younger days, I think you could handle any of the boats mentioned.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our local special needs sailing program for kids and wounded warriors has an 18 foot hobie cat with trailer that was donated for sale for I believe around 2200. The club is in Edgewater Park NJ near Phila.
I too still have my Snark, great little boat. Sorry to hear it got smashed.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Ah, Keuka lake. Lots of great memories from that area (Wayne).
I recommend you consider the MFG Sidewinder. It's a 16 footer and can be rigged as a cat or sloop. They were made in the late 60's into the 70's. My family bought one after we learned the basics on a Sunfish. It was a good 'next step' boat. We used it mostly on Waneta Lake but it would be fine for Keuka.

Here's one for sale in Rochester:
http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/5599741886.html
Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

HMS Guppy

Recruit
I, too, learned the basics in a borrowed Snark. All I remember is that is was very uncomfortable. Then - still a rank novice - I stepped up ('quantum leap', actually, but I was too ignorant to realize it)...stepped up to a Jet-14. Had I known it was designed for racing, I might have had the good sense to buy something else. I agree with the previous comment about the 14-foot length - two is perfect, three "cozy" (AKA cramped and awkward). Then, against my better judgement and after years of non-stop excitment in the Jet 14, I traded it for a 16-foot, because my boys were getting bigger. It was very stable and moved like a dump truck. Also, it easily fit four (two adults, two kids; yes, even two dogs!!) Oh! How I missed the Jet14. Having experienced the two designs, I would recommend that whatever length you decide on, avoid anything with a hull designed for racing (even if it's not rigged for sailing)...if you're introducing children to sailing....unless, that is, they're VERY good swimmers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.