Alcort Minifish... Mod it?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I got hold of an Alcort Minifish, everything OEM, almost perfect except the halyard and the bridle line. (ropes; short, worn and weak from age... easy to deal with. Main sheet looks like a new one)
Yes, the OEM sail is in good condition. (which is really surprising for a appx 30 yr old sail)

Noting differences in the rigging vs Sunfish I'd kind of like to make the changes, but considering this is approaching becoming a collectible (already a very uncommon hull) would that be a mistake?

Main issues being:
It doesn't use the ratcheting block/pully for sail control, just a cast sort of hook bolted to the front of the cockpit
No hole in the daggerboard for an eye bolt to affix a bungee.

Secondary is the placement of a cleat where the Sunfish had a fairlead and then no cleat behind the mast.

Also some later Sunfish had a cleat on the mast which really helped with raising the sail and securing the halyard.

So, do I go for ease of operation, changing hardware (drilling as little as I can) or leave it OEM?

southkogs

Staff member
Some boats hold value by maintaining their original fittings ... but very few. I don't know for sure on these, but I would recommend setting it up the way you like to sail it. You likely won't see much retained value from keeping it all original.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a mass-produced boat with inexpensive hardware. like any other boat, tweek it to suit your needs. Think of it as adding functionality.