Thinking of getting a sailboat . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just dont use POR15 and the paint should stick. Have you thought of rhino lining the keel?

tpenfield

Staff member
just dont use POR15 and the paint should stick. Have you thought of rhino lining the keel?

I actually saw a write-up on the web about hull #1922, and they used POR on the keel then thickened epoxy fairing. I was not so sure about the POR as the under coat. :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
4 years ago I was praising POR15 for everything. I bought it by the case. After the carp came off my outdrive in sheets, and I had even bead blasted the castings prior. Today I simply warn about my experience.

tpenfield

Staff member
I have always known POR15 as a durable non-porous paint that had its place, but it is not for everything or every application. Probably a better top coat than a base coat.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have always used it as first 3 coats on all my automotive and marine restoration projects in the past, covering in epoxy primer, then paint of choice. Required a torch or grinder to remove.

I must have coated 12 or 13 frames, at least 30 axles and suspension systems, an old tractor, a few snow blowers and a tone of rusty metal between 1990 and 2010

However the company was purchased, MSDS sheets changed and now it comes off.

tpenfield

Staff member
UPDATE:

The boat ( 1976 O'Day Mariner, Sail #3224) is now at its new home.
IMG_6621.jpg

I went to get it early Saturday AM, so as not to take too much time out of the day, because we had a full day of beaching and boating planned.

IMG_6622.jpg

The boat sits up a little higher on the trailer than I had originally thought, but we shall see how it launches. My previous sailboat ( a Catalina 22) was pretty difficult to launch. My hopes are that this would be much easier. We shall see.

At the end of the day, I raised the mast and did an initial tightening of the rigging.
IMG_6630.jpg

The mast on this boat is pretty tall (24 feet), almost as much as my 22 foot boat, which had a 25 foot mast. I'll spend the next few days/weeks going through everything and getting it ready for next season. I may use it a couple of times this year, just to test it out.

tpenfield

Staff member
Update:

I have started to go through everything. Got the sails up and checked the running rigging.
IMG_6637.jpg

I am not sure I have the mast rake set right, plus it is a fractional rig, so the mast should bend back a little bit. I took a little bit of adjusting to get the sail shape decent. We shall see how it does on the water
IMG_6634.jpg

Here is the swing keel/centerboard, extended as much as I could while on the trailer. It does not look too bad for a 40 year old piece of iron, but I plan to re-finish it anyway. The trailer has one bum roller, so I'll have to fix that.
IMG_6638.jpg

There is a nice swim ladder that attaches to the stern.
IMG_6641.jpg

The only problem is that is where the rudder goes . . .
IMG_6643.jpg

So, I'll have to do some re-engineering there.

I got the boat all registered today, so I can put the numbers on the bow this weekend and go for a shake-down cruise. I just need to get everything set up so that I can launch this thing pretty quickly and set the mast without taking too much time, as I'll be trailer launching until I can get a mooring in the harbor.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would put the swim ladder on the port side. If you have a kicker mounted, the rudder mounted it only leaves the port side of the transom

southkogs

Staff member
She's a good lookin' boat ... hope the cruise goes nice and smooth for ya'.

tpenfield

Staff member
Now I am looking for a small outboard motor, just to move it around the harbor and dock areas as needed. I have been using CL for my search, as I did in my search for the boat itself.

After making many inquires, both by email and phone, I usually have a few probing questions about the boat or motor. If I get only half or less of my questions answered, I pass, if I get most but not all questions answered, I think about it. If I get all of my questions answered, I'm all in :D

I hope to find a small motor by this weekend (4 hp or less) . . . We shall see how it goes.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
could always go with an 80# thrust trolling motor.

tpenfield

Staff member
could always go with an 80# thrust trolling motor.

Yes, I have been considering a trolling motor. My budget is $200 for a motor (yea, I'm cheap that way) and I can get some used ones for that or less. But then, I got to figure in the battery (batteries) and a way to charge them without hassle (solar panel) and that easily rivals or exceeds my budget and/or the costs of a small gas motor.

So, still thinking that one out. I replied to your PM, thanks. :)

tpenfield

Staff member
A quick update:

I put the O'Day Mariner in the water on Labor Day and took it for a sail in the harbor and adjacent basin area. Too windy to go out in the big ocean with it. Wind was 25 mph with guts up to 32 mph.

Here are a few pics of the setup and launch and sailing . . . SAM_0846.jpg

Still working on the mast setup. . . . I am trying to eliminate as much time at the ramp as possible, so I tried having the boom and jib attached. Probably will need to go with a gin-pole for this and winch the mast up from the trailer. SAM_0849.jpg
SAM_0851.jpg

Launching was a dream as compared to my Catalina 22 . . . Just a couple of shoves off the trailer in it went. SAM_0861.jpg

Here is the boat at anchor . . . looks like a fair amount of mast 'rake', which I am not sure is right. Mariner19atAnchor.jpg

And here is a shot of the first sail in the harbor. I used just the main, and probably could have reffed that, but I don't recall any reef points on it. IMG_1144.jpg

I may not use it much more this year . . .planning to do some restoration work over the winter . . . gelcoat, seat cushions, bottom paint, new wood trim (switching to vinyl). the cockpit sole is a bit mushy, so that may be on the list as well. Probably could go another season or two.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks like you had a great time

It was good, but day-launching a sailboat does wear you out.

I am going to try to get a mooring for it, but the prospects might be thin. There is a lot of anxiety concerning the mooring regulations in my area. Almost 100 people waiting for a mooring space, and at the same time about 70 of the existing moorings go un-used year after year. The situation was never all that good in the past, but now it seems to have gotten out of control.

So, I may be day launching for a while, unless I can pull a few strings . . .

southkogs

Staff member
It was good, but day-launching a sailboat does wear you out ...
That is a lot of work, and I've not done it on a boat quite that big.

Looked like a good sail though.

On all the sailboat cockpits I've been in, it seems the sole is a molded portion of the cockpit. How hard is that to repair? Do you have to pull the whole top cap off the boat?

tpenfield

Staff member
That is a lot of work, and I've not done it on a boat quite that big.

Looked like a good sail though.

On all the sailboat cockpits I've been in, it seems the sole is a molded portion of the cockpit. How hard is that to repair? Do you have to pull the whole top cap off the boat?

The cockpit sole is part of the cap . . . the boat is basically a 2-piece clamshell. So, from what I have been able to research on the web, the typical method of cockpit sole repair is to cut open the cockpit floor around the edges where it meets the rise of the seats and open it up. Then remove the wood core and replace with new core . . . then lay the top piece back down (epoxy) and make the edges look pretty & smooth. It is better / easier if the core is more rotten.

The decks and the doghouses on these types of boats are similar wood/fiberglass sandwiches.

Status
Not open for further replies.