1995 SeaDoo Bombardier water issue in main engine compartment...

gotfish1

Cadet
Have had this machine for a while and it has performed great. Noticed a LOT of water in the engine compartment today, drained the water out by pulling the back drain plug and then started the engine to see where the water was coming in. There are a lot of cooling hoses and I thought I'd be able to see where it was coming in. I found the source but do not know what to do. The water is coming in around the PTO flywheel area (see picture). I took the plastic "shroud/cover" off this area to find the leak. I would appreciate any advice on what to do or what parts I need to replace. This is the area where there are two zert grease fittings. Water seems to be coming out near the round plastic flywheel thing. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• photo226342.jpg
    photo226342.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
remove your pump and drive shaft go buy a new driveshaft seal and bearing assembly and replace it, grease the fitting on it and on the p t o flywheel , put back the driveshaft and pump and it's fixed.

gotfish1

Cadet
New development. I completely drained all of the water out of the engine compartment and then looked for a leak. Nothing seen. I now know that the flywheel was spraying the existing water in the compartment and is not leaking. What I DID discover was that the leak was coming from the top of the engine through a small port with a red cap on the end. I do not know the purpose of this cap but when I took it for a spin, I was idling and then took the cover off and noticed this cap had come off and the water was coming out of the tube it was on. Jeff, can you tell me what I should do now? Replace the cap? What is the purpose of the cap? I could make sure it stays on but have a feeling it's supposed to come off if pressure gets too high?

Last edited:

gotfish1

Cadet
No Title

This is a picture of the"red cap" that is popping off under power and water is leaking into the main engine compartment. Can I secure this cap so it doesn't come off?

Attachments

• photo226420.jpg
    photo226420.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0

beebs208

Cadet
The red cap is to cover the flushing fitting, where you hook up a garden hose to cool down the engine when you run the engine out of water. It seems that the seal inside the flushing fitting is not sealing. Thus letting water go by the seal and pop the cap of because it is under pressure. You can replace the flushing fitting or remove the fitting and plug the hose. Hope this helps and I explained it clear enough.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Man I don't know what happened to my reply I answered you a week ago about that being the flush cap and the fact that you lucked out since it is easy to replace . I even commented on a 787 sea doo I had that my engine blew up due to one of those leaking flush connector, they are supposed to seal off with an internal valve when they are not in use. If you didn't know what it was you probably were not using it any way so just remove it and cap off the hose.