1997 Seadoo Xp won' start

stp125

Cadet
Hi, I have a 97 seafood xp that was sitting all last year, I replaced the battery and when I push in the start button all that happens is the gas and and tilt gauges move, absolutely no sound coming from starter. Any ideas? Could the starter button need replacing? Any other things to check?

stp125

Cadet
Problem fixed, it was the high voltage box, opened up and there was some corrosion. Cleaned it up, and gave the relay a tap in case it was stuck, also changed the fuse in the box it looked a little corroded as well. Not sure which was the problem but working great now, no beep when I attached the lanyard, but everything else works great, for one reason I don't think it beeped last year either.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Glad you found the issue. This model is notorious for electrical corrosion problems, the MPEM (computer) is in the front of the boat and any water in the hull comes splashing against it every time you let off the throttle. An issue they corrected in 98. I would clean and coat in dielectric grease any connections you can find, especially the MPEM plugs. It would also be a good idea to rig up a plastic splash guard for that computer.

If/when that computer does go bad from all the water baths it takes they are expensive to replace as they do not make them anymore and it's a single year production piece.

No worry on the beeper, they are flaky and unreliable.