2003 Seadoo challenger 1800 merc 240efi

Pauliep103

Cadet
Hi I have an 03 Seadoo challenger 1800 withe the mercury 240efi power head what a night mare I'm having it all started with an overheat issue I took the boat to a mercury tec at seaside heights in New Jersey they said that water flow to the power head was causing motor to heat up an go into safe mode so they removed power head an found a o ring mangled so they replaced o ring let me remind that this power head was running great nice and smooth just got a call now from service center that the motor locked up on them and that I need a new power head the cost would be $4600 installed with no labor free install, can anyone tell me who's responsible for this problem I gave them a great running motor now it's seized an they won't take any responsibility whatsoever!!!! Anyone can help me out I would appreciate any help

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Honestly if you overheat a 2 stroke power head just once you can usually count on an overhaul since it warps the heads and then the head gaskets leak allowing water in the cylinders causing serious internal damage to the rings and cylinder walls.

Pauliep103

Cadet
Hey Jeff I wrote that wrong I meant no water was circulating through the power head due to a broken o ring between pump and power head they replaced it and was running fine for 20 minutes as they said then rod went through block causing power head to seize took it to another merc guy he just broke down the cause saying the oil pump was disconnected it was not mixing an fried the rings I don't know what to believe all I know I dropped off a strong power head even though it over heated the guardian shut the motor down and always turned back on an took off like a rocket back to shore after replacing o ring is when this problem happened, also this is his first power head removal if I would have ask and I've would have known!! Omg

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Well live and learn but remember limp mode in no way protects an engine from being destroyed, if no water is getting in the power head it's overheating and the longer you run in limp mode the more damage you can cause. It is a very common misconception that running in limp mode protects the engine, it will if you shut it down quickly and look for the problem. In any event you need lawyers .com for your type of questions , many an apprentice mechanic has learned at someone else's expense and not just in boats. By the way if it threw a rod it probably had bearing damage prior to it hatching and that was most likely caused by no oil. those bearings are pretty strong but no oil and hot conditions will destroy them. Inspecting rod end play is something everyone should learn to do before purchasing a used 2 stroke engine.

Last edited:

Pauliep103

Cadet
I'm just shocked that when this boat started beeping it shut off an I was towed back I always take a jet ski with me in case the problem was not fixed it happen twice I understand the way these power heads work it's just when I gave these guys my boat u could put it in the water with the o ring problem and it will take off like a rocket as soon as they did the o ring and placed the Powerhead back it comes Back with a hole in the block, I also just learned that this suppose to be certified merc dealer has experienced doing this job for the first time he told me this himself he has never worked on a Seadoo challenger with the 240efi motor like you said Jeff you live and learn, Ima replace the power head with a shop in pa where they guarantee their work, then I'm a hire a lawyer once I really find out the cause of this disaster, they even offer to do free labor on replacing a new power head, $4850 people in pa $3200 these guys are crazy also charged me for o ring job 1,250.00 and gave me my boat with a hole in the block, Jeff sorry for all the typing but you seem to know about these boats, thanks a lot for your time.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
I suspect the other people who have no reason to cover up the cause will be able to tell you the cause of the engine failure there are tell tale signs to look for to indicate a bad bearing or water ingestion , or heat.

Pauliep103

Cadet
Hey Jeff how are you just put a new power head on the 03 seadoo challenger after the other shop blew a rod through the cylinder well to make along story short
Power head was installed by black bird in pa motor sounds great but I'm back to square 1 with the over heat problem no water is flowing through the head also noticed on the bottom of pump when he did the o ring he used like a foam kind of stuff it's suppose to be a rubber gasket can air cause the problem not sure why it's overheating with the hose hooked up to it also no water is coming out the small pisser could the pump be bad should I run it in the ocean why is power head getting no watercould it be that gasket thanks

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Take it back to them and have them get it right or that one will hatch also don't fool with it or they won't cover it on warranty

Pauliep103

Cadet
Black bird motors in pa just had my powerhead rebuilt by blackbird motors at sanburg PA these guys do an amazing job In building powerheads for Sea-Doo challengers my boat was taken over there by me in one day they replaced the powerhead while I was waiting at their facility I have read threads about blackbird motors in PA about how they are disrespectful and do a lot of sneaky stuff as for me I received lots of respect from Mike and his dad and the staff and as for their warranty let start by telling the public my motor locked up because of a faulty oil pump they said but with that being said they took care of me and rebuilt it again at no charge an still warranty the powerhead who does that !!!! now I mix my gas with 2 stroke by hand they got me back in the water asap so people those who read these negative threads about black bird motors check it out for yourselves I'll give these guys my business any time😀😀😀 thanks mike and senior mike appreciate it all !

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
glad you are on the water, if you ever get tired of the way the boat handles just let me know I have a system for it that will make driving it a breeze.

Pauliep103

Cadet
Talk too me I need it to perform faster I'm a speed demon need to spice it up what can you can recomened

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
forget fast speed is expensive and not always a good idea that boat should be fast enough as it is. I just make them steer better that can be a blast though