Jet Ski Foam

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought two seadoo jet skis today. One is a '91 and the other is a '92. They are both the SP. Now what I'm wondering is where the flotation foam is at inside the hull if a pourable expanding marine floating foam can be used in there instead of the removable white foam. I'm new to the whole PWC scene so trying to learn everything that I can about what can and can't be done.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
no leave it alone the 2 part foam sucks up water, the white foam does not, the hulls have enough flotation to keep them on top of the water if you want more sneak in some big swim noodles and you increase the flotation without spending a lot of time and money and you can remove the noodles if needed.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
no leave it alone the 2 part foam sucks up water, the white foam does not, the hulls have enough flotation to keep them on top of the water if you want more sneak in some big swim noodles and you increase the flotation without spending a lot of time and money and you can remove the noodles if needed.

Ok thank you. I was wanting to give it just a little more flotation than what it has now. Now I just have to figure out the issues with the motor not running, and having a hard time starting up.

dazk14

Ensign

+1. A 91/92 ski has very little value, don't "sink" major money into it. start with a spark and compression test.

You can get an inexpensive/functional compression tester at Harbor Freight.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Are you talking about the flat piece of white foam in the back of the ski? that isn't for flotation it is to close off the water entering the vents if it flips over,, they have flotation in the hulls built in

if it wont run it is probably bad fuel or carb issues if it has spark and compression try a shot of starting fluid if it starts right up and runs for a second or two you know it is a fuel issue, they are only worth a couple hundred dollars though so as stated don't sink a bunch of cash into them.

Last edited:

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not going to sink a lot of money into them. I know both skis need the carbs rebuilt on them, and the second of the bunch needs a new coil pack. Had a friend check them out that works on boats and skis, and everything checks out great just the two carb rebuilds, and the coil. Only other thing I'm going to do to them is to give them a paint job. I had to fix some cracked fiberglass on the one which I have fiberglass at my house from previous projects, and the paint won't cost that much money to fix the dulling they have now. I know neither of them aren't worth much money, but it's for the kids, and they don't need brand new ones to start off with.