Odd starting issue 1997 yamaha 760

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
When starting my 97 yamaha 760, it will crank just fine but when the cylinder fires and does not start right away (cold starts) it refuses to crank again. After it fires and i hit the start button a second time, I get absolutely nothing, not even a click. It is as if the battery is disconnected. Once I disconnect and reconnect the battery, it will crank again and most likely start. Once running, I have no known issues but as soon as I turn her off, I must disconnect and reconnect the battery to get her to crank.

If this does not make sense, let me know and I will try to reword it.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
That is odd perhaps you have a weird start solenoid internal issue, I would start there and the main ground wire from the battery but I have never heard of this sort of issue. try jumping the main terminals of the solenoid when it refuses to start.

rogerwa

Commander
There is a start lock feature that you might try. Press and hold the mode button, then when you see 4 dashes on the display, press A four times. It will either beep and say lock or it will say Start. If it says Start, then try it. If it says lock then repeat the procedure and then try it. I would try this before disconnectng the battery.

On mine I have had it pop into the lock mode unexpectedly.. Its easy to try so give it a shot before disconnecting the battery..

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Started right up after I unlocked the start lock feature. Thank you for your help.