1996 Polaris SLT 780

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going to go look at one of these later this week.

For a newbie to PWC and boating in general. What are the items and areas I need to pay close attention to on these? Pictures, If you own one would be nice.

I know compression is first, what should the PSI be at?

I have read fuel lines need replaced and the ignition system is touchy? How do I test or inspect the electrical system? MFD?

Thanks in advance

This is the only one I can look at right now, so finding a different make, year and such is not possible. Just looking for trouble areas and how and what to inspect.

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class
You want the compression to be consistent on all three cylinders not off by more that 10 to 15 psi at most from high to low. Ask if the oil injection works or if it is converted to mix gas. Have them show you how to toggle through the MFD, if they can't is doesn't work. The electrical system either works or it doesn't. Definitely check the impeller for nice clean edges without rock chips, you will need a flash light. A bad impeller means the ski will not get on plane very well or perform like it should. Float the ski and take the seat of and watch for water intrusion - which means cracks/holes or a bad impeller shaft seal. Just a small list to check.

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You want the compression to be consistent on all three cylinders not off by more that 10 to 15 psi at most from high to low. Ask if the oil injection works or if it is converted to mix gas. Have them show you how to toggle through the MFD, if they can't is doesn't work. The electrical system either works or it doesn't. Definitely check the impeller for nice clean edges without rock chips, you will need a flash light. A bad impeller means the ski will not get on plane very well or perform like it should. Float the ski and take the seat of and watch for water intrusion - which means cracks/holes or a bad impeller shaft seal. Just a small list to check.

Thanks, didn't think about asking them how to work the MFD. Good way to see and put them on the spot...lol

Thanks

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wanted to give an update.

Got the ski, did a visual inspection and a compression check.

1= 100 2= 105 3= 100, so it seems to have ok internals. The oil injector is not changed, I DON"T want to use it. How do I change this to mixed gas?

We couldn't get the MFD to work, or we didn't know how? The ski seems weird, there is no key? Just a lanyard and a push button to start it. There are three buttons on the MFD, does one of them make it light up if it is working?

There was no battery, so I had my battery to to the compression check. Where does the battery sit inside the hull? I don't see a box to plate to strap it to. I see where the electrical box straps down.

On a funny note. Opened up the seat to look at engine and do test, there was a mouse looking back at me.....I think this ski has been sitting awhile. Didn't see any chewed up wires but was funny having a creature staring at me and not moving.

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class
I believe the battery should sit on a plate right next to the elec box. The MFD only shows hours, fuel/oil level, trim position and time I think with no light. To eliminate the oil injection....
remove oil pump to remove insert.
purchase an oil block off plate which bolts where the pump was.
cap off all oil line nipples with vacuum caps
remove oil tank, do not have to mess with oil level sensor since MFD is not working.
mix I believe 50:1, you may have to slightly richen up the carbs as you are now displacing some gas with oil. Always run your first tank of mix with more oil than normal then back off to the suggest ratio.

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe the battery should sit on a plate right next to the elec box. The MFD only shows hours, fuel/oil level, trim position and time I think with no light. To eliminate the oil injection....
remove oil pump to remove insert.
purchase an oil block off plate which bolts where the pump was.
cap off all oil line nipples with vacuum caps
remove oil tank, do not have to mess with oil level sensor since MFD is not working.
mix I believe 50:1, you may have to slightly richen up the carbs as you are now displacing some gas with oil. Always run your first tank of mix with more oil than normal then back off to the suggest ratio.

Thanks.

I got the ski back home and opened the electrical box! OMG, it had water in it. So this tells me either two things has happened. It was flooded on the lake (Sank) or it had the seat off a long time and water sat in the bottom of the hull where the electrical box was laying. I have ordered a new one off eBay, this one was toast the board was falling apart. And of course, the PO said it wasn't like that when he bought it.......yea, ok.....whatever. My fault I didn't open the box, I thought about it. Live and learn.
IMG_1021.JPGIMG_1022.JPG