through hull jet pump bolts too short 95 gtx

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just finished doing a jet pump rebuild on my wifes 1995 Sea Doo gtx 657. It did have an aluminum pump originally which was in horrible shape. I didnt realise this until I pulled it to change the wear ring. So I bought a plastic pump and changed the bearings and wear ring.

It seems 95 was a year with both aluminum and plastic pumps. I decided on the plastic after seeing what salt water will do to the aluminum pump.

So I put on a new reverse cable today and tried to reinstall the pump.

The mounting tabs on the pump which attach it to the bolts through the hull are a lot thicker than the original aluminum pump.
As a result although the pump mates up I cannot get the washer and lock washer on.

So the question is if the through hull jet pump mounting bolts can be changed out for longer bolts.

Has anyone tried this ? Are they fiberglassed in ?

I would hate to have to get a aluminum pump to rebuild and put back on as I have an as new plastic pump ready to go on !

Thanks !

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
The BRP parts catalog shows them as studs that thread in. They list two different ones but do not specify the lengths.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Studs ? That is good news ! Thanks for the info. I couldnt find anything in the manual downloads I have. I will do another search.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at the sea doo manuals for the 1995 and 1996 GTX and trying to work things out is a little confusing.
Although the 1995 had both aluminum and plastic pump bodies the studs listed for both are the same part number
( 211 300 015 ) . There is also a listing for the GTS ( 211 300 014 ). Both are M10 studs and neither give a length.

The problem with this is that the mounting surface on the plastic pump is a lot thicker that the aluminum pump so you
cannot get the lock washer/washer and nut on the stud. But according to the manual as far as I can see its the same
stud which cannot be correct.

The pump I actually have is from a 1996. If you check the 1996 GTX parts catalog the studs now have a square center to
fit the pump support bracket so I cannot use those as the 1995 has no pump support as far as I can see.

So......I'm guessing as no pump support shown for the '95 I can just use the 2 bolt method to pull the studs ( no square retainer )
and they should come out. Then replace for longer M10 bolts.

I plan on updating this post as I go along in case it helps someone.

The easiest thing to do would be change back to an aluminum pump but as I have the plastic pump ready to go on and plenty
of other things needing my funds, I'm going to try to make this work.

One question if anyone can help. How are these studs fixed to the hull ? They appear to be glasses in, in the engine
compartment. Do I need to expose the back of the studs or just remove from the pump side then replace.
Any advice is MUCH appreciated. Thanks !

Last edited:

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 211 300 015 seems to be about 3" long and the 211 300 014 about 2 1/4".
( judging by pictures on ebay )

I basically need a 4" or longer M10.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. So I have now found a "plastic housing install kit" . I says it includes 4x 211 300 015 studs which it says are longer to
fit the plastic pump. But that's the same part number as the stock studs for the aluminum pump. Now totally confused !
I guess I will just have to pull my studs and measure them before buying anything else.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking back over the parts catalogs it seems that probably the plastic pump does use the 211300015 and the aluminum uses the
211300014. That's not how it reads, or at least not to me , but I think that's how it must be.
I was told by a seadoo race guy that the 95 was a strange year for pumps given the change over and some had aluminum and some had plastic.
So I guess that makes sense on the nonsense !
So when I get a chance I will pull the studs and hopefully they are the shorter 014s. Just ordered 4x of the 015s on ebay for a song.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
The studs have arrived and appear to be longer than the ones i have but i need to pull them to be sure. I have looked on the forums about how to do this and found only one post. My ski does not have a support pump. On the inside of the hull where the studs attach there is a glob of sealant. Once removed the stud end is visable. The hole in the fiberglass is exactly the diameter of the stud. No nut is visable. Also there is no break in the lay out of the fiberglass.
In other words the glass in this section is completely uniform with no sign of being patched. So to get to the nut i would need to grind away the inside of hull to expose them.

It seems that with no access to the nut and no support plate the studs remove by turning them out with a stud remover and that is all.

I did try the two nut method on one stud but it did not budge because of lack of leverage and space.

Since then its been torrential rain all day so i have been forced to stop.

Is there a 1/2 " drive 10mm stud remover someone can recommed that i can hook up to my air tools to get the job done ?

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Part of me writing this post was to help anyone else with the same problem.

So the answer is to change from an aluminum pump to a plastic pump on a 95 sea doo gtx you need to remove and replace the studs for the ones mentioned above. The 2 nut method will remove them. There is no support. ( the problems i had were due to one seized stud. The rest came out nice and easy ).

One last thing is you will also need longer bolts for reattaching the steering nozzle because of the plastic pump design. They are M8x80mm.