1997 seadoo sportster. bad leak

onion79

Recruit
Recently purchased 97 seadoo sportster with a single 85 hp rotax 2 stroke.
Bought it in winter so couldnt test it. But it looked clean and it ran great on the trailer at the dealership.

Dropped in lake today. Before i took it off trailer i looked in engine bay. I noticed a bad leak coming from where the driveshaft goes into the engine, at least thats where it looked like, there is a plastic covee over the area and it was a quick glance as it was leaking bad. It was coming in like a garden hose. The engine was not running.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Did the dealer winterise it? Also,is there a warranty? I'd be asking the dealer about it.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
bad drive shaft seals and bearings, it probably has the older style mounted on a hose with 2 seals and one bearing between them it may have just twisted off the hose when the bearing seized up or it could have broken the hull mount where the hose clamps to the back inside the hull, this is all a common issue been there done that more than once. it's not all that big of a deal to take care of. remove the p t o cover and take a look at the hose on the driveshaft.