1999 Seadoo GTX...no beep... starts, dies, then won't turn over completely.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just like in title... NEW battery, I even bought a brand new battery just because other one was doing the same thing. Definitely NOT a weak battery. If I let it sit for a while it cranks right up then promptly dies. I push the button to crank again it turns about 1/2 way over then stops. The "oil low" indicator is on.... other than that I don't know what's happening. Just getting into diagnosing it. Kid I got it from said he was riding it then it suddenly died and would not start. When I got it the fuel rail connector end was broke off so I got another off of ebay. The oil line was disconnected because he drained all the oil out of the tank for some weird reason. Wish he had told me because now I have about a half gallon of oil in the hull...
I checked the compression a few weeks ago when I got this scooter. I just remember that it was like super excellent, something like 170 or 190 psi. Anybody got hints or tips of what's going on here? I know very little about SeaDoo's but plenty about outboards and old waverunners. One other thing... the start/stop button is pretty gummy and nasty looking like it got hot and may be a worn out cover. For about $6 I got one of those off of ebay. Now I just need it to start and stay running and start again when needed.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
when it locks up pull the spark plugs and see what shoots out of the plug holes. also if it is any engine other than a 951 you better put the rotary valve oil lines together with oil in them or you will loose the rotary valve gears.

RandyJ

Probably does need more oil line bleeding but far as I know the valve oil lines are together. I'll look at the manual to see what you're talking about. It is a GTX/RFI with the 787 engine. Looks like it is spitting gas out the spark plug hole when plugs are pulled and cranking it over. My guess would be that injector(s) is stuck open making it flood the rear cylinder.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
that is what I suspected when you said it clear after sitting so now you know it's a fuel relates issue and probably not a big deal, if it's got the injectors and not carbs you probably just need to remove them and clean them, as for the rotary valve you can use a fitting to loop the oil lines together if you use a fitting with a removable cap similar to a engine flush kit you can inspect the oil and fill it when needed. the oil circulates from the tank to the rotary valve in normal operation. with no oil the rotary valve will hatch

RandyJ

On another site I was told the inner crankshaft oil seals are leaking oil into bottom end causing it to hydrolock and that's why it won't re-start as if too high compression. Does this sound right to you? I've done a lot of work on waverunners but never done much inside a PWC motor and very little experience with Seadoos... from what I can tell this should be a very good seadoo with not much wrong with the engine. Something like a crankshaft seal may be a big job but does not mean it's a toasted motor... certainly seems worth a few dollars in parts and some labor....