Sportjet 90 flywheel

Cueball876

Cadet
So my boat ran fine the other day, went to start it today and no spark... I go thru my ignition testing, ohming my stator.... I get normal reading yellow to yellow(red stator), but no reading from green/white to white/green.....output voltage was down around 45 volts.... Stafford bad right? So I pull my flywheel, I find about half the magnets stuck to the stator with the other half stuck to various parts of the powerhead....is this what caused my stator to go bad? Can anyone give me some part numbers that cross reference for the flywheel.... Seems the force flywheels are much cheaper but I want to make sure they will fit. Should I replace the regulator as well?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
It is typical when the rectifier goes bad and you shut off the engine dc current runs backward into the field windings because the engine is still spinning for a second when you turn off the ignition this creates a bastard charge around the ignition windings that overload the brain and fry it, sadly if you repair it without replacing the rectifier it will run once then when you turn off the ignition it will fry the new brain. I even had the new stator when mine did the exact same thing, ran fine turned it off and no ignition replaced the brain ran once and fried the new brain , after that I put in a safety relay that kills the positive red wire to the stator when the ignition is shut off that saved the brain even if the rectifier went bad. in any event if you replace the brain also do the rectifier or it will reoccur.

Capt Ken

Commander
Poor quality epoxy. The same problem OMC had with many of their flywheels except they sold the magnets and newer epoxy separate from flywheel. Use Marine Tex to re glue the magnets if not damaged. Has nothing to do with rectifiers, CDI units. I've re glued dozens of them with no problems.