I need help, I am thinking about purchasing a 2006 Yamaha FX HO.

jetsetter407

Recruit
I am looking at a Yamaha FX HO Wave runner, most the ones I see have 150 hours on them, what should I ask the seller and what should I look out for.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure about questions because we all baby our jet skies if someone asks when we are trying to sell them. Look for signs of a jetski that was taken care of and not abused. Is the hull and paint in great shape. The seat in good shape. Does it look like the engine is leaking anything. Then you need to water test it and drive it for like a half hour. Does it run smooth. Does it lose power when it is warmed up. A 150 hour engine could be close to death or it could be at half life and still good for a while. A cold and warm compression test would be helpfull. I don't know what good compression is on this ski. Likely should be over 100lbs in each hole. All cylinders should be close to the same compression.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Those have the 160hp 4 stroke M R 1 engines, 150 hours is not anything to be concerned about, I put hundreds of hours a year on my 4 stroke skies. You should check under the hull for any damage fixed or otherwise since Yamaha hulls are a bit on the weak side also check the pump if it hasn't been rebuilt already.
See if the pump makes clinging noises at idle while on the trailer it may need a liner, also look at the condition of the impeller. Listen If the engine runs smooth, check the steering& reverse cables move smooth and are not binding up, the price is always a big factor , check with N A D A for your area values and stay in the low side just to be safe. A good look at the ski should show you if the person took care of it or not.