Wanting to buy a wave runner any recommendation

whimmpy

Recruit
I am wanting to buy a wave runner, does anyone have any recommendation t which wave runner is better, I would like to have a 3 or 4 seat. I would like to have one with forward, neutral and reserve gears.Any help would be great

dazk14

Ensign
3 and 4 seaters will have reverse.

Overall, anything Yamaha is likely to be the most reliable...however, condition, condition, condition.

Thalasso

Commander
How do you or (kids) intend to use it and where. How much are you willing to spend.( new or used) Whatever you buy don't get a supercharged one.
I have a VX and for my purpose it's fine. I don't get out there and jump waves and act crazy. Just use it for putsyin around or a little fishing
New
VX Cruiser-
budget-minded $10,000.00

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Whats your budget? No one has made a 4 seater since about 2004. There is really no such thing as a forward/reverse gear, per se. All wave runners only have one transmission that moves the prop in one direction. Reverse is typically achieved by dropping the rear gate. But, there are different and more efficient ways to do this. Sea Doo has their IBR system and Yamaha now has one that is more similar to IBR, but they all work by dropping a gate.

IMO, about $4,000 will get you a decent used 4 stroke. Besides the Sead Doo spark, a new four stroke will run $9k at best.

Last edited:

bajaman123

Cadet
As other note above...let us know your intended use. Salt or freshwater? Cruising...towing tubes...fishing? You want to go fast on occasion?
You can pick up two stroke machines from the late '90s for decent money. A good Yamaha or Sea Doo, in the 700 - 1100 cc range can be had for $1000 - $2500, for example. Sea Doo GTI/GTX machines are 3-seaters, for example. Bear in mind that ANY "three seater" is not going to haul three 250 lb. riders around...lol!
4 seat machines are rare as hen's teeth. Seems like Sea Doo had their LRV, Yamaha the SUV, and Polaris a Genesis model. BIG old things!

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Also consider that there are legal limits put on these things for the number of riders, but there are some 2 UP models that are not comfortable for 2 riders, and some 3UP that are not comfortable for 3 riders....at least not for any much more than a short ride.

Again, whats your budget, and do you want a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke?

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
An older 701cc two stroke will run a long time on its 10 gallon fuel tank. The 1200cc can burn 10 gallons in under two hours. Not sure about the four strokes. Something to consider. Also remember rule#1 on pwcs. No throttle no steering. Tons of accidents happen when newbies first experience this. Be careful while you get accustomed to the concept.