1997 1100 Yamaha Waveventures

Chris35

Cadet
I purchased two Yamaha 1100 Wave Ventures last year. Both are 1997 110 HP 3 cylinder engines. Before purchasing I performed compression test on both engines and they were at 122 psi for ea. cylinder on ea. machine well with in Yamaha specs. of plus minus 5%. These machines are supposed to run at 62-64 mph. The one does and the other one runs at 57 mph. Both impellers on the jet pump look exactly the same condition along with the same clearance around the wear ring around the impeller. Any suggestions on how to get the slower one up to speed.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is this with the speedo or a GPS? Many of those speedos are just not very good.

dazk14

Ensign
Well, to start with, those are only 52/53MPH GPS when stock ski's - period

The "Dreamometers" often run 10mph or more higher.

start with GPS speeds. You can use your car GPS, just reset the current top speed before you test.

122 is perfect compression.

What are the accurate speeds?

Chris35

Cadet
Those are off the speedometer off machine you can feel, hear, and when racing the one that is running in the low 60s moves out faster. The specs that Yamaha mechanics in my area are for the low 60 MPH.:joyous:

dazk14

Ensign
Those are off the speedometer off machine you can feel, hear, and when racing the one that is running in the low 60s moves out faster. The specs that Yamaha mechanics in my area are for the low 60 MPH.:joyous:

you made need some carb tuning. Are these stock ski's, or have there been mods?

I raced those ski for a few years and they are not stock 60mph ski's. It took big bore kits and more to see 60's - good ski, won a lot of races in chop, that had others Racer's (sea-doos) swimming.