Ontario using boat license to collect tax

mrgizmo

Cadet
I'm in Ontario Canada and bought a 99 tigershark about 3 years ago for $600.I got a new hull number within a month or so of getting it. I got a letter in the mail today from the minister of finance saying that this craft was registered and now they are after the sales tax if not already paid. Has anyone else heard of this?

TexMonty

Seaman
In Texas you have to pay sales tax when you register the purchase of a new or used boat just like a car, but you do it at the time of registration. They don't give us three years to save up :) I don't now if that is the same as getting a new hull number?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Most places charge sales tax when you register a used car or boat etc if you purchased it from a private person , dealers charge the tax when they sell you the boat etc. and if you are really lucky you could have the misfortune to live where you get an excise tax bill EVERY YEAR for each car boat motorcycle etc that you own. So don't feel so bad. I lived in a state that did all that and they have a state income tax, it is called taxachusetts. I love where I live now, haven't paid a state exise tax or state income tax in 42 years.

mrgizmo

Cadet
It was a private sale and have the ownership in my name, I just cant remember if I paid hst or not when I did it.