Electronic control in PWC Engine

BluSky

Cadet
I am working on a prototype of an unmanned surface vessel, with an engine similar than a PWC.

I am looking for information about PWC engines on the websites of the different suppliers, but I did not find information about how to control its electronic (start, stop, tachometer, temperature drive control, etc). How could I control these parameters or others, to control them in remote?

We will work with the NMEA2000 Standard for data transmission, do you think that is it compatible with this protocol or connections?

We presume that SeeDoo has its electronic protected (we can not access to them to control it). Please, we appreciate very much recommendation about what would be the optimal supplier of engines (Suzuki, Honda, etc).

Thank you very much.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are over thinking it.

radio control / robotics 101. servo motor for the throttle connected to an analog output, servo motor for steering connected to analog output, servo motor for trim connected to analog output, servo motor for FWD/N/REV, simple digital I/O for the run and start signals. if you want/need to monitor the engine vitals, then the tachometer goes to a frequency input, the other engine parameters go to the analog inputs and these go back to the remote

no need for NMEA2000. you can control it with any radio control just like you would control a scale motor or weed wacker motor in a remote control boat. Infact people have been doing it for over 40 years. now days you can even use an app for controlling with your smart phone

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New Yamaha skies use fly by wire for the throttle and other electronics for speed control" they call it cruise assist" plus other important functions, except steering, tilt, and reverse obviously.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
and nearly all throttle by wire inputs are a 1-4 (0-5vdc) volt signal with idle validation. they use an inexpensive TPS potentiometer as the input interface and are fed off the 5 volt buss. you can emulate the signal with an analog output.