Winterizing Jet ski in Alabama .....anti-freeze

DPForumDog

Cadet
Couple of questions based on some Youtube videos I just watched about winterizing your jet ski
(1) you don't need anti-freeze? according to several videos if you run the engine for 30 seconds, let it rest, and repeat 3 times?
(2) you don't use marine or rv anti-freeze .....you just dilute automotive antifreeze 50% with water?
(3) you don't have to add winterize if your in an area that doesn't get below 20 degrees and/or warms up above freezing each day?
(4) Jet skis made after 2005 do not require anti-freeze?

I am so confused about what to do with all this conflicting information?

Thanks.
Granny DP

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You don't use automotive antifreeze because it is really bad for an aquatic environment.
You don't need RV antifreeze (propylene glycol) if you can remove all the water from the systems.
Water freezes at 32 so you run a risk of freezing if the temperatures stay below that for any length of time. It does not freeze instantly and it can take a while for everything to get chilled down but at 20 for a time like overnight there is a good chance of freezing damage, if water is in your systems.

Someone else will have to tell you about the best way to get the water out of your jet ski's system. I'm not an expert on that.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
1 - I use it but I see -30 weather, I'd bet most people in Alabama just rev the motor a little and call it good.
2 - NO no no no no no no, the guy that put that on youtube is probably getting hate email as we speak
3 - 20 degrees AND water in the motor would make me nervous
4 - newer skis have closed loop cooling, this means antifreeze runs through the motor, not sea water. Does yours?

If you have closed loop cooling rev the motor to blow the lake water out and call it a day. If you're worried - get two gallons of antifreeze, cut off a garden hose and hook a funnel to it, pour in antifreeze while it's running, this is what I do.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Apparently some jet skis have water cooled parts with no provision to drain this water.------Use anti-freeze !!!-----Your results may vary.

thumpar

Admiral
It depends on what you have. If it is 2-stroke just rev it and then fog. I don't use AF in anything but my road vehicles.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
use rv, not automotive. even the "closed" loop cooling skis still cool the exhaust and pump with raw water. 2 vs 4 stroke really doesn't matter to me. i'd do them all the same with rv antifreeze. its a lot cheaper than a repair unless you are sure you can get all the water out.