1995 Polaris SLT 750 Cooling Sysytem/Winter Flush

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, Just wanted to double check myself here... We just bought a 1995 Polaris SLT 750 and are trying to flush out the cooling system and add in antifreeze. I pulled the plug on the top of the engine (blue Fuji engine) near what appears to be the water temp switch. I connected a 5 gallon pail with a gallon of marine antifreeze. The antifreeze went in and came out the bottom of the machine. Afterwards I was a little skeptical so I looked at the hoses and saw a hose connected near where I connected to that went to the exhaust at the back of the machine. My fear is that the antifreeze didn't go into the engine at all but instead went right out the back.

I wasn't able to find a cooling system diagram anywhere online. I'm sure there is one somewhere, just cant find it.

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The 94 and newer Polaris watercraft cooling systems are self draining. There is no need to use antifreeze in the system. The cooling water comes in at the jet pump, connects to the front lower portion of the exhaust pipe, travels next to the exhaust manifold, then into the cylinders, up through the heads into the water rail, through the thermostat, then out via the exhaust through hull fitting. If you dumped antifreeze in where the brass plug is opposite the thermostat, the antifreeze would travel down into the cylindersthen out through the bottom of the exhaust manifold via a brass 90 degree fitting which tees into the intake cooling line in the bottom of the boat near the rear port side motor mount. No antifreeze will likely gravity flow up the exhaust manifold and into the exhaust pipe. A little water in the waterbox is OK as well. Pull your drain plugs, tip the ski up high and blip the throttle.......

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the info! So if we dont pull the drain plugs there will still be water in the engine? Any idea where those drains are located?

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No, the drain plug I am referring to is the hull drain plug to get any excess water out of the hull as you lift the ski up. There are no plugs that need to be removed to drain the engine.

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh ok, I understand. Thanks again for the info!