Water in crankcase?

wiscoman

Recruit
Hi,

I was winterizing my 1997 Yamaha GP1200 last week. I ran the ski on the hose, started it first, then started the hose. I spaced out and turned off the engine but the water was running still. Quickly I ran to my spigot and turned it off. Couldn't have been more than 20-30 seconds tops. I turned the ski back on, and turned the water back on, let it run for a few minutes and then shut it down properly. Turned off the water, then the engine. I read through the manual about fogging turned the engine back on, turned the water back on and then fogged each cylinder though the plug on the carburetor cover. Then I pulled each plug and put a table spoon of 2 stroke yamalube in each cylinder, and cranked the engine over to coat the cylinder. I noticed when I pulled the plug before putting in the tablespoon of oil there was some smoke coming from the middle cylinder. My guess is it was I must have fogged that cylinder a bit more than the other 2. At any rate, I am worried leaving that hose on for those 20-30 seconds by accident may have gotten water into the crank. This is my first waverunner and first time winterizing it (I winterize my outboard 90hp and its very straight forward comparatively). I live in wisconsin and the winter gets cold and I don't want the water to freeze up in there if it does exist.

I am away for work for another week, but I am debating if I need to drop it back in the lake and test it out (granted my plugs will probably be pretty fouled from the table spoon of oil in the cylinder).

Another thing I am debating is pumping RV antifreeze through the system. It is kind of a pain because I need to set up an old bilge pump to pump it from the canister and seems like a waste. I heard that if you give the throttle some taps after turning off the hose, the water box should be cleared enough that it won't freeze and should be sufficient for winter storage.

Let me know opinions please, I want this sucker working next spring!

Thanks!

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It takes a while for water to get back into the engine so I doubt you hurt anything . As for the water box, just pull off the main hose from the manifold to the muffler and put some antifreeze directly into the muffler, then seal off the hose with some heavy plastic and a cable tie to hold it but leave it off the water box. the hose being attached to the water box allows moisture to go into the engine Isolating that hose keeps air and moisture from doing that while it is in winter storage. This is even more important on the newer 4 stroke engines .