1993 bayliner jazz with a 90hp

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 90 hp jazz that has been sitting in a garage for about a decade.
great compression!
looks great-like new!
Put a new battery in it and no spark.
disconnected the rev limiter no spark.
have a cheapie multimeter, but tested the stator-continuity, and OHM within levels.
have continuity thru deadman
regulator has a big black burn so I figured that it went and took spark box with it.
figured that its the spark box, bought a new CDI brand (used) one.
cant bench test new spark box without an oscilloscope and a lot more brains
bought a new regulator (new-new) wont need to bench test, as it is NEW
saw that I have the black stator, bought a red one-why not?
red stator-666 OHM, good

new red stator comes with an adaptor pn 834949a4-tested that, no continuity-I figured that it was nothing but a transformer, and I should have continuity thru bl-bl/wh and wh/grn-grn-wh.

My question is-what does the adapter do and is there a way to bench test it?

My dream here is to put this crap in the machine and have it make loud noises.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a normal issue, the rectifier went bad and it blew out the ignition , if you change the stator coil to the newer one and put in a new rectifier with a new brain it will run but you still have to worry about the brain going bad if the rectifier goes bad unless you wire in a positive relay isolator to stop the ac current from going back to the wiring around the ignition windings. this actually happens when the engine is turned off and the flywheel is still turning, it produces ac current that back feeds to the ignition windings. oddly enough the boat will be running just great then you shut off the engine only to learn that it won't run, I spent a lot of time figuring out the real cause and effect and remedy to that situation but those are obsolete now, parts are difficult to find. To make a long story short stay away from those if at all possible.

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice
I
but you still have to worry about the brain going bad if the rectifier goes bad unless you wire in a positive relay isolator to stop the ac current from going back to the wiring around the ignition windings.

do you have a sketch of this circuit or can you please describe how it is made and where it goes?

To make a long story short stay away from those if at all possible.

Too late for that, its already in my driveway

and back to my actual question, this adapter-834949a4 is testing open on all leads. Is this thing toast?