Yamaha Waverunner

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at getting a PWC and leaning towards a Yamaha waverunner from about 2005 onwards. Any hull mods that have been made and what to look for when buying used?

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Really appreciate the diverse knowledge this forum imparts. Thanks guys.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Although I have a Yamaha 2-stroke and have had it since 2000, I suggest you look for a 4-stroke in the age group you are considering. They are more fuel efficient and have a quieter ride. I would check the compression on each cylinder to make sure the cylinders and valves are in good shape. Also check the oil quality (has it been changed routinely), inspect the keel for wear (excessive beaching), and look for cracks in the hull (too much wave jumping). I would also look for a freshwater boat and trailer that have not seen any salt water.

Best shopping is probably now as prices should be dropping as winter approaches.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks......got a boat and trailer already.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can say I personally chose not to reply due to the vast amount of information "typing on my end" that it would require to answer your original question accurately. I hope you found a good ski, I have personally deduced that until you own one and use it for a while to see what your preferences are, the first ski is often a gamble. but a valuable learning experience none the less, and with most Yamaha 4 stroke skies the gamble is greatly reduced since Yamaha has a very good reputation.