Sea doo GTI hard start

buchwheat

Seaman Apprentice
My GTI sets on hoist covered most of time. Occasionally when I hit start button I get a clicking in engine area I presume starter. Eventually when starter switch is repeated several times I hear it trying to turn over like its stuck then she fires up , same routine as if low/dead battery. I have cleaned the key switch and always get the test chirps when key applied. New battery pulling proper power. My guess is ground, starter and corrosion somewhere???? Advice appreciated. It is a 1994 model.Thanks,happy boating.

rvaughn704

Cadet
I would first check the Ground Cable going to the engine.
Also Check the Hot Cable Going to the Starter. It would be nice if you could meter it to see how much power is actually getting to the Starter.

The above is the simple things.
But I bet the Starter is going out and needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
make sure its not the starter solenoid. Pull out the electronics box (usually white) and open it up. then take a pair of pliers and jump the 2 large red wires on the black solenoid if it fires right away then the solenoid is bad and easy and cheap to replace.. Test before throwing parts at an engine.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Is it a good battery (not from walmart)?

Do you have a $99 ebay Chinese starter?

There's a lot of ways to get cheap parts for old seadoo jet skis, unfortunately the starter is not a part you can skimp on, it has to be an OEM starter new they're about $300, used they're about $75.

buchwheat

Seaman Apprentice
Recommended stock battery and original starter, Batt was 140.00 closed cell not a cheapie. Got a place to start when I put away. Finally had my PWC weather , least 85 deg., been out a dozen times, stop and start 2-3 times..ea outing, Only had the click problem once , I kept hitting start button and fired up????? Any further thoughts???

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The pump liner may be swelled up and dragging the impeller , the longer it sits between use the worse it will usually get, you should hear some metallic sounds from the pump , there will usually be marks in the liner where the impeller hits. This is caused by dissimilar metals causing corrosion between the stainless liner and the aluminum housing. I always replace mine with the nylon liners to avoid this from happening.

buchwheat

Seaman Apprentice
Interesting Have no idea where this is , the jet pump propels it?? sure makes sense due o setting aspect, Ill have to crank it at least couple times wk. to see if I can zero in on this.. Thanks

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry I had in my head that you were talking about a Yamaha, my bad sea doo uses a nylon liner so those don't lock up however the pump bearings can lock up and drag the engine enough to keep it from starting. Usually if water gets in the pump and it sits for a while the bearings will lock up. all that aside the usual problem with sea doo is bad ground or bad plus side starter cable or both or bad ground for the solenoid. Especially if you have it on a hoist .

buchwheat

Seaman Apprentice
Pulled her out and on trailer, directly to my good repair guy, his diag. and replace was starter relay switch. he listened when I dropped off and it did the start no start and try to start routine and called it w98 pct certainty. 40.00 part and 65.00 labor, all in all not bad ran some anti freeze and awaiting summer in Michigan.Thanks for all the attention. Dave