Need help with 1995 sea doo speedster fuel problems

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This has happened twice now leaving me stranded. Engines running smoothly, then start to cut out, as if starving for fuel. Eventually first time they wouldn't go above 4500 rpm, but still ran. I drained the fuel tank and put in new gas and some Seafoam (figured it had sucked up some gunk since this was first time in a long time I'd got it below 1/4 tank fuel level). Took it out to nearby lake and it in a few minutes it ran like a champ. Two days later take it to a lake 200 miles away and it ran good for 2 minutes then both engines dropped off in power, in unison, until they would only go to around 1500 rpm. Needless to say that wasn't enough to hardly move. Both soon stopped altogether, and after sitting an hour or so, would start up long enough to run what gas (I suspect) gravity fed from the tank. I have a manual for it, but while it has a fuel system diagram, there is no legend to tell what the parts actually are. I don't really see anything that looks like a filter on the schematic. I pulled the fuel line from one of the carbs and hit the starter and nothing pumped out. Any help out there?

thanks

porschemaniac

Recruit
First please don't use sea foam in pwc carbs- the rubber diaphragms are very sensitive to seafoam and ethanol. The symptoms you describe sound like a exhaust leak. It will act like a fuel problem but very unlikely both motors will act the same due to a fuel issue. If there is any exhaust leak ( rubber couplers very prone to leaking ) the bilge fills with exhaust fumes and the motors can't run on carbon monoxide. Open hatch and run motors on hose - use a flashlight as it will help locate exhaust coming from leak if it's not obviouse

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found a large crack in exhaust hose that could be the culprit (I thought the right engine was making a weird sound). I'm looking for the part now. Thanks for the advice. About the seafoam, I had two different boat mechanics tell me to use it. What exactly does it do that's bad?

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
(figured it had sucked up some gunk since this was first time in a long time I'd got it below 1/4 tank fuel level).

This would not cause your problem, the fuel is picked up through the bottom of your tank regardless of how much fuel is in there.

I pulled the fuel line from one of the carbs and hit the starter and nothing pumped out.
That is what should happen. Fuel is drawn into the carb by a pulse line and diaphram on the carb, not pumped in with an external fuel pump like most boats or cars.

I like sharps exahust leak idea. Also when was the last time the carbs were cleaned, you should always start there on these seadoo boats, but as sharp said boat motors cutting out at the same time points to something else.

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Replaced the bad section of exhaust hose this morning. Started up the engine, it sounds fine but still won't rev more than 4000, either engine. I don't know if they can rev higher without being on water or not (boat is fairly new to me) and I have to dry it out for a week before I can put it in any lake around home (quaaga mussels in last lake it was in, and it's been raining every day this last week). I'm not sure if carb cleaning is the problem, because it was running top notch before the last two trips. I didn't change oils or gas (motor has been modified to use pre-mix). There is a 2500 foot elevation change between home and where it won't run, but it is downhill, not higher elevation. Please give me some advice as to where to go next. Thanks so far for the replies.