1997 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100

Chris35

Cadet
Can someone please tell me where the one or two grease fittings are on this Yamaha so I can grease the impeller shaft/bearings! I have looked on youtube and Googled this question with no positive findings. I also went to a well known Yamaha dealer in my area and the parts person did not know so he looked up on his computer with no results! He also asked a tech. and he said they are under a cover; I have no cover on mine! I read on this forum that Yamaha has two grease fittings that need 7 slow pumps.

I look forward to replies!

pinbodean

Seaman Apprentice
If I recall, they are mounted on a small plate, one on each end of the carbs. They are covered by a little black rubber nub. Hope this helps.

Chris35

Cadet
I will check this weekend! I question how far theses are from the shaft!
Thanks, will let you know!

dazk14

Ensign
The intermediate shaft bearing that needs grease is mounted to the rear, lower engine wall, engine side.

The bearing housing(~5" diameter, 2.5" depth is either pale green or aluminum. Since there is a rotating shaft that comes off it to connect with the output of the motor, it is covered by a black plastic cover.

You can find the grease nipple on any of those vintage skis buy finding the ~1/4" rubber hose that come off them (looks like small fuel line) and tracing the line to the chrome grease nipple/mount at the opposite end of the hose, which may have a small black rubber cap as mentioned above.

You only pump grease until it gets firm, otherwise you risk blowing out a seal - hence why you do it slowly. It may take hardly any, although often the zirc fitting is plugged, so the 1st moment of grease handle movement may feel stuck.

You can get an Ebay CD-rom of the factory service manual for $10. It will save you a ton of aggravation and confusion.

Chris35

Cadet
Thank you for your responses. Being new to this forum I have no idea of what I am supposed to do as far as asking a question, or closing out. The person that I called at iboats had no idea either! Sorry if I am doing something incorrect! I can only do the correct thing when I know all the steps which are not available!

Chris35

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe he was saying tell people what you did or the end result you can't close a thread this is a common issue with web pages , although most questions have been asked and answered many times over the years, people just don't do searches.
As for the grease in the intermediate shaft bearing, be very careful not to over grease that thing, the center is housed in rubber that is bonded to the outer housing. The grease fitting is in the outer housing and a small hole is drilled through the rubber to access the bearings.
Over greasing it can cause the rubber to detach from the housing and allow water to leak in to the hull even though the seal is still in place .
I believe a slight pump or 2 is more than enough and not often required. I have pictures of the parts detached from each other and have changes several of these.
It is not any fun so be careful.
It is better if the engine is running while you add grease.
I remove the hose from the fitting after adding the grease so any excess pressure is relieved .
NOTE The newer skies do not have the hose attached to the fitting, the fitting is mounted directly on the bearing housing and that requires a bit more searching to locate.