120 Sport Jet engine seized

bgulsvig

Recruit
I own a Baja jet boat with the 120 Merc Sport Jet engine. After having it stored outside for the winter and before listing it for sale this summer I took it out for a test drive. Everything checked out OK...started fine ...normal power...normal speed...same as ever. A month later I have a buyer who takes out for ride. He says it doesn't have as much power as other jetboats he's owned. Next day I have another buyer drive it and he says the same thing but he buys anyway. He takes it home and his first time on the water he nails the throttle and the engine seizes up tight. He takes it back home, pulls the plugs, squirts oil in the cylinders, lets it sit over nite and with some effort is able to free it. Anyway I have it back now, It turns over freely with the battery but am afraid to drive it. What could have happened. I checked the oil injector pump, it has a bleed screw and it is getting oil. There is also an adjustment linkage on the pump that I increased to the maximum setting. I was told these
oil pumps can go bad from sitting unused for a period. Could having it starved for oil cause the performance problems ? I drove it for 20 mins. Shouldn't it have locked up before then.............

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
As a rule, when a 2 stroke seizes because of lack of oil, it doesn't "un-seize". I would be leaning towards a heat seize. Do you have a temp gauge, and are you sure your temp alarm is working? First thing to do is a compression test.