1998 SeaDoo GTX Limited Info!!!????

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Looking to buy a 1998 GTX, Wanted to know all the info on a jetski on what needs to be checked and done to run these skis. I was told that some skis need a mixture of oil and gas to put in the fuel tanks and so on. I am looking into getting a project jestski and the owner told me the ski needs a carb rebuild and some regular tuneups and tlc. Please let me know wheat there is to know about these jet skis and it its hard to work on them. Thanks

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
....owner told me the ski needs a carb rebuild and some regular tuneups and tlc.

That probably means - runs like crap, not water ready, needs lots of work.

They're hard to work on in the sense there is little access. They build them at the factory when they are just the bottom half of the hull, then they glue the top half on. It will most likely have the gray fuel lines that will need to be replaced (google that).

Do a compression test (those grey fuel lines may have killed the motor already)
That ski is premix oil.
Genuine Mikuni carb kits will run you about $140. If you have to pay a dealer to rebuild the carbs you'll probably spend about $500.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
That probably means - runs like crap, not water ready, needs lots of work.

They're hard to work on in the sense there is little access. They build them at the factory when they are just the bottom half of the hull, then they glue the top half on. It will most likely have the gray fuel lines that will need to be replaced (google that).

Do a compression test (those grey fuel lines may have killed the motor already)
That ski is premix oil.
Genuine Mikuni carb kits will run you about $140. If you have to pay a dealer to rebuild the carbs you'll probably spend about $500.

Brian could you tell me if the trend about yamaha jetskis being better then a seadoo is true? I was told that yamaha is more reliable and easier to work on and preform better the seadoo or polaris and so on.Could you please recommend me a jetski that would be easy to work on for a first timer. Thanks

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
They're all hard to work on in terms of access. Yamahas do not have the VTS trim that has plagued seadoo for decades however they do have issues with their power valves and oil lines on third cylinders. Some say the Yamaha twin cylinder 760 engine is the most reliable PWC two stroke engine ever made.

Everyone can agree stay far away from tiger sharks.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a 2002 Yamaha GP!1200 and now have the engine out and rebuilding it as we speak.