ECU MEPM problem 2001 Seadoo GTX RFI - Multiple sporatic warning beeps

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
At the lake, parked the doo. Went back about an hour later to go home, and when I attach the lanyard, I got the normal 2-beeps, but immediately followed by four longer beeps. Shop manual says "problem MPEM not communicating with ECU" in the troubleshooting chart. It also made the solenoid chatter like it was bad, but I replaced it, so that isn't it. Check all the connections - all good. Full battery charge - and I get the same thing over and over, except sometimes I don't even get any beeps or I'll get 2-beeps normal, and 1 long beep or three long beeps. Sporatic behavior on the warning beeps. The ECU/MPEM box makes a series of clicks and I don't think that's right.

Checked on a used part - $529 OUCH!!! So I ask if anybody has experienced similar or same and if they have a suggestion on other things to try or check.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hows the fuse and connections in the rear box? Ive seen them pretty corroded or loose...

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
All fuses were good, hardly any corrosion. When lanyard connected, sounds like there is a short that is pulling off the battery through the MPEM box. Warning buzzer isn't strong sounding - it's kinda weak and fluttery.

I'm stumped.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
A better description of the tick sounds from the MPEM box is sounds like a red tape ticker machine.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
carefully clean the battery ground where it connects to the engine, also pull the big plugs off the mepm and spray them with silicon spray then reconnect them. Then try to start it.