1996 Yamaha Waveraider 1100 throttle ?

madixon86

Recruit
I just acquired a 1996 Yamaha Waveraider 1100 and after taking it to the lake I noticed that I can not ride a constant speed. The ski will start out at normal speed while I'm pulling the throttle in but then it will just take off. I tried several time to keep the ski at a lower speed but I have not been successful at doing so. Is this normal with this ski or is there a problem and if so a problem, what do i need to do to fix this issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Yamaha Waveraider 1100 throttle ?

I realize you are new to this however a better detailed description would help to narrow down the issue, are you saying it lags and then accelerates or it just does what it wants unpredictably.

madixon86

Recruit

It accelerates unpredictably. Like I can not just cruise at a certain speed after the ski is on plane It's wide open. Sorry if I didn't post enough info. I didn't no what more I could say at the time.

madixon86

Recruit

Does anyone have an idea on this issue. I have been to several pwc forums and no one seems to no any solutions. Please help. I really don't want to take my jet ski to a mechanic and let them charge the crap out of me.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just a wild guess perhaps you have one cylinder that is firing intermittently causing the engine to pick up speed and then slow , try removing the plugs and see what they look like, they should all be brown.

madixon86

Recruit

The top or bottom of the plugs. The bottom are black.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the electrodes should be brown to light tan so black means it is running rich, either weak spark , not enough air or too much fuel like bad carbs. any of those could make it run weird. my guess is ignition issues like bad ground wires bad plug wire cores or some other electrical issue.

Last edited: