BRP or Yamaha

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at getting a PWC in the future. Have ridden a Seadoo as they seem to be the most popular out here......but I think I would prefer the 4 stroke Yamaha for longevity. Anyone have any suggestions or personal preferences?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: BRP or Yamaha

I've run both and repaired / maintained both.

Yamis are bulletproof and easy to work on. But they are tippy and offer a somewhat wet ride at times. If you want a ski that will work all the time, buy a Yami.

Seadoos can be finniky at times, but the later models are bulletproof as well. As long as you take care of it you'll be OK. Servicing them is a bit harder - not user friendly. Doos are the sharpest looking.

If you ride a Yami you'll say "Oh this is fun". After a few times it may be a bit boring. After riding a Doo, you'll say OMG this is fantastic, probably yell "yahoo", and you'll probably call in sick the next day so you can go out again!

We have 3 GTX 4-tec in the family. The oldest is going on its 11th season. None have ever seen a dealer or a mechanic after the 20 hour check, and none have ever had a part replaced.

Last edited:

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have hundreds of hours on both makes. The new hull on the fx ho cruiser is the best yamaha has ever put out, The 1800 engine is the most reliable and it is a true marine engine.
I was out all day on mine again today . I put hundreds of hours a year on p w c's.
The only one I will ever own after years of sea doo and kawasaki , If you want one to ride and ride and ride with no problems This is the one to get.
I agree the earlier Yamaha hulls were not all that stable and sea doo had them beat in that area but now the new larger Yamaha hull is fantastic.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don;t have the experience of the first two that replied, but it would certainly depend on to me on which models you get, and depends on if you are looking at new vs used. The FXHO hull and motor seems by far, to be an owner favorite. The machine is pricier, but not nutty expensive like some of the SC models and not bad on fuel. You can't really go wrong with either option. The Yamis seem more clean in their design and a bit simpler. The Doos seem to have more "stuff" and perhaps more things to break. However, a GTI 130 can still be pretty simple, while the higher-end Yamis get into alot of added crap.

Around here, all brands hold their value in a fantastic way including the Kawasaki models.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have hundreds of hours on both makes. The new hull on the fx ho cruiser is the best yamaha has ever put
I agree the earlier Yamaha hulls were not all that stable and sea doo had them beat in that area but now the new larger Yamaha hull is fantastic.

I'm not sure when the "new" hull you speak of appeared. My last experience with an FXHO was I believe a 2007 model. Our 3 GTX's are the larger hull that started in 2002 and was replaced a few years ago. My own personal opinion is that the GTX hull beats the HX hands down. Of course "feel" and handleability are somewhat subjective and personal.

Thalasso

Commander

I have the 2013 VX Cruiser and you couldn't turn that thing over if you tried. Well not really but it would take some real doing to do it.
Yamaha all the way. This is why you see the places that rent ski's use Yamaha. So much more reliable.

The Rooster

Ensign

I say, go buy a new Spark, reflash the ecu and go terrorize Jim on his GTX-155 !!! :lol:

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure when the "new" hull you speak of appeared. My last experience with an FXHO was I believe a 2007 model. Our 3 GTX's are the larger hull that started in 2002 and was replaced a few years ago. My own personal opinion is that the GTX hull beats the HX hands down. Of course "feel" and handleability are somewhat subjective and personal.

A quick google would answer that question, but I am too lazy....I think it was 2009 when the hull changed.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have the 2013 VX Cruiser and you couldn't turn that thing over if you tried. Well not really but it would take some real doing to do it.
Yamaha all the way. This is why you see the places that rent ski's use Yamaha. So much more reliable.

That's mostly true, but our last 2 vacations (Key West and Aruba) had exclusively 4Tecs at every rental site.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I say, go buy a new Spark, reflash the ecu and go terrorize Jim on his GTX-155 !!! :lol:

If speed is your definition of performace, go ahead and beat me. Regardless, I would not be terrorized in the least if you did.

Several places we go often have 3-4' rollers. The wife and I have no issues navigating the narrows. Bring your Spark over there and see if you can keep up with me then!

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

I am a yamaha guy through and through but ride older seadoo two strokes because I like how light and nimble they are. If I didn't care about money I would add a RXPX to my fleet, I love that ski.

If I was in your shoes I would take sixfigures' advice, he has posted on here how much he rides and it's impressive.

I have hundreds of hours on both makes. The new hull on the fx ho cruiser is the best yamaha has ever put out, The 1800 engine is the most reliable and it is a true marine engine.
I was out all day on mine again today . I put hundreds of hours a year on p w c's.
The only one I will ever own after years of sea doo and kawasaki , If you want one to ride and ride and ride with no problems This is the one to get.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure when the new Yamaha hull came out, The dealer told me it was new for 2013 it is bigger than my 2010 supercharged sho by close to a foot. I had a lot of issues with the 2010 wanting to tip with passengers, and oversteering in hard turns, sort of hooking unpredictably to the point that I had to remove the factory sponsons and put on worx sponsons but rather than lowering them I had to redrill them and raise them practically out of the water to get the ski to do what I wanted it to do.
The fx ho cruiser was perfect the way it came from the factory. Even with 3 people on it the ski is very stable. Also my 2010 was a little wet in chop, the 2013 is pretty dry in comparison, and they did away with the yamaha word on the grips, mine wore holes in my hands until I sanded the lettering off. Eventually I removed the grips and put on softer ones.
Like I said before I do a lot of riding and something as simple as a hand grip can make it painful over time.
I just looked at the titles and the 2010 shows 11 feet long where the 2013 shows 11ft 6 inches long.

Last edited: