2004 wave runner yamaha problem

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice
The jet ski is just starting to use oil is this a problem i have to worry about, and why is it doing this? what is the cause of the problem?? thanks :)

Last edited:

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2004 wave runner yamaha problem

More details would be great. Two strokes are supposed to use oil, four strokes aren't. How much oil?

The Rooster

Ensign

+1 ^^^. Are you sure it's burning oil or just leaking oil?

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

2004 FX Cruiser High Output (Cali.) - FX1100ACC Yamaha Waverunner yerp 4 stroke.. sorry forgot..
Spoke to the mech, and will be doing a compression test today or tomorrow.
but wont show me any thing but compression..but good to know anyway..
i was told there is no diag plug on that model, from 05 and up yes correct or not?..the engine is not blowing smoke, as if it did i would know some thing is not right. refilled the oil, so will keep an eye on it after i come back from a fish, i'll check the level again..it could be the oil pump seal no leaks any where i can see.. ok so what is the main cause of burning oil? that comes to mind?

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it is leaking check the third bolt on the oil cooler those broke off and allowed oil to leak in the hulls, somehow the factory over torque that bolt by accident also check the oil filters as they rust and leak, all those causes will show oil in the hull. If it is burning oil you should be able to see that on the spark plugs. Also DO NOT bring the oil up to the top of the ok mark on the dipstick but keep it in the middle of that setting or you risk overfilling the oil and ruining the very costly air cleaner element as the excess oil will blow out in to the breather box.

Last edited:

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

ok will check it, can not see any oil in the hull. just water not much but a bit.. will take the ski down to the mech and get them to check the plug for me. as i do not have the long extension needed to undo them. yes the oil is at the F mark, so will take come out till it's below the F some what thanks for that

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As inexpensive as tools are I would get the tools for removing the spark plugs and I would be very carefull as they are known to break off in the head especially the number 3 plug I always use never seize, to keep that from happening and I do it at the 10 hour service so I don't have issues later on.

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

yerp had a look .. my rubber is missing from my spark plug remover :( so will need to get another one.. can do sparks on my own same as a car job.half turn anti clockwise to seat the plug then turn as normal.. i drained some oil as it was just over the F mark so took it down past the F mark just incase.the mech said i should drain the oil get a new filter refill it and then see if it uses oil by checking it after a trip out after a fish..then see if it's using oil.. i personally think it should not use bugger all oil, after 3 or 4 trips or so..or am i being fussy and over thinking this using oil saga?

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a piece of hose to install and remove the plugs from the head , you can make that using some fuel line etc. install the plug with the hose pushed down on top of the plug and turn it by hand to get it started to remove them loosen the plug , once it's loose slide the hose on to the top of the plug to take it out, an old spark plug boot on a dowel etc will also work to do this. The element is very expensive and if you overfill the oil it will get blown in to the intake I always leave mine in the middle of the full mark, I beat the daylights out of them, my 2010 supercharged has over 500 hours and my 2013 fxho is pushing 200 hours and I only purchased that in july. I change oil and filter every 50 hours.

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

I use a piece of hose to install and remove the plugs from the head , you can make that using some fuel line etc. install the plug with the hose pushed down on top of the plug and turn it by hand to get it started to remove them loosen the plug , once it's loose slide the hose on to the top of the plug to take it out, an old spark plug boot on a dowel etc will also work to do this. The element is very expensive and if you overfill the oil it will get blown in to the intake I always leave mine in the middle of the full mark, I beat the daylights out of them, my 2010 supercharged has over 500 hours and my 2013 fxho is pushing 200 hours and I only purchased that in july. I change oil and filter every 50 hours.

Thanks took it to the mechanic and the plugs are mint as, so no fouling what so ever..took the ski out wide 24 or so nm round trip and blow me down did not use oil..so maybe it was one of them things..but will be checking oil in future. btw.. the plugs are skinny things small plugs even..will sort out some new ones just encase... before i forget can the jetski take iridium spark plugs at all?

Last edited:

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes they can, I suspect your oil issue was that it was overfilled. Be sure to take care of your oil filter also as they rust and leak right at the crimp. I cover mine with aluminum tape to shield them from being exposed to salt water also check the hose clamps especially the one below the engine as those are known to rust.

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

yerp going in this wednesday to buy some oil and a filter..just have to figure out how to get the oil out...with all the money they spent on building and development of the yamaha fxho, one would have thought.. hey hang on how do they get the oil out on their own? thanks fo the tips will source some irid sparks for the fxho, and see if there is a compatible number to go by..:) so love this site always someone to help a person in need :)

The Rooster

Ensign

yerp going in this wednesday to buy some oil and a filter..just have to figure out how to get the oil out...with all the money they spent on building and development of the yamaha fxho, one would have thought.. hey hang on how do they get the oil out on their own? thanks fo the tips will source some irid sparks for the fxho, and see if there is a compatible number to go by..:) so love this site always someone to help a person in need :)

Hey fish, best to check out a you tube video of the oil change for the MR-1 engine, but I'm pretty sure it's the same as mine. You will need to buy an oil extractor kit, filter & oil.

1.) Run the engine a few minutes to warm & circulate oil.
2.) Insert extraction tube down the oil dipstick hole.
3.) Pump until oil begins coming out & collecting in extraction container. Once the siphoning begins, stop pumping & wait.
4.) Change oil filter. Make sure the old gasket comes off w/ the old filter.
5.) Wet the new filter o-ring w/ some fresh oil before installing.
6.) Add the EXACT amount of fresh oil that you collected in the extraction container.
7.) Start engine for a few minutes and recheck level. Do NOT overfill.

That should take care of it. Good luck !!!

P.S. IMO it's not worth the extra money for iridium plugs. Factory are fine. Check out Greenhulk.net. Plenty of experts there as well.

Last edited:

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

Cheers for that :) good info..i'll have to wait till next summer to get back into marlin fishing from a ski, so will use it every so often on the lakes..and this will show up any thing if it does and i hope it don't..