Anyone out there with Seadoo Spark experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thinking about making a down payment....any thoughts?

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anyone out there with Seadoo Spark experience?

be sure to actually try it first and take a passenger it is a niche ski but not a ski for someone who needs more than just a toy. not knocking it just saying so often we buy something with no idea what we need it to do or with some misconceived perception of what we want it to do. Asking others is a good start. However being a new product buying the first year is usually a bad idea, and not having any real feedback on it is also a gamble.

WaterDR

I agree, but impossible! That is, until May, to take a ride :(. The product is so hot right now, that many of the dealers have already sold their allotment.

I am really intrigued by the product and cant tell if it will be a game-changer or a niche.

alldodge

Staff member

Just took a look at it, agree there could be issues with the new line but these guys have been making them a long time, so I see no big thing happening. It is lighter then the regular 3-seater and therefore gets better fuel economy. There is very little room for items to carry with when riding. I have a 2007 GTX and while I don't like bending over the bars to get things out of the locker, I do like the space it provides. Can go for a long rides and have room for small cooler, lines, fenders and anchor. If you put a couple small fenders and some mooring lines in the locker on the Spark, I think your about out of room. For family fun running with another boat would probably be the best thing

WaterDR

Seadoo has been making great stuff for decades and claims to have been working on this for 7 years. I have all the standard concerns as anyone would have with a new product, but this thing has really moved in a different direction. Small, light, and fuel efficient trying to equal cheaper fun.

I really don't care about storage. We are slipped in a river with a pontoon and would never use jetski for a long trip.

alldodge

Staff member

Seadoo has been making great stuff for decades and claims to have been working on this for 7 years. I have all the standard concerns as anyone would have with a new product, but this thing has really moved in a different direction. Small, light, and fuel efficient trying to equal cheaper fun.

I really don't care about storage. We are slipped in a river with a pontoon and would never use jetski for a long trip.

Looks like you answered your own question
Have fun :)

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Spark is Sea-Doo's attempt to save the PWC industry (or, at least their market share of it ;) ) from itself. And you are just the kind of buyer they're banking on to make it a successful product, and I think there are a lot of other people out there like you...

I never threw a bunch of crap in the storage of any of the PWC's I owned over the years (Sea-Doo SP, SPX, SPX, HX, and so on); didn't really have the ability to do it, and didn't ever feel the need to. I put gas in the gas tank and oil in the oil tank of my 580, 650, 720, or whatever Rotax I happened to have under me, and I rode. I rode for a few hours and I went home. I didn't take them on week long adventures, though some still did (anyone ever see that PWC trailer contraption they marketed back when?). There was barely any yearly maintenance besides fogging the engine and changing the pump oil every now and then. I loved those old 'skis, and owned two, the newest of which was a '97 SPX, up until 2011. Never a single breakdown in all those years. They were fun and simple.

The new breed of PWC is awesome, insanely fast, packed with features; but the prices... The Spark is the alternative to those monsters that the industry needs and the people want. I think Sea-Doo is going to sell a bunch of them. I know if I hadn't just bought a new boat two seasons ago, I'd have a spark on order right now.

WaterDR

The Spark is Sea-Doo's attempt to save the PWC industry (or, at least their market share of it ;) ) from itself. And you are just the kind of buyer they're banking on to make it a successful product, and I think there are a lot of other people out there like you...

I never threw a bunch of crap in the storage of any of the PWC's I owned over the years (Sea-Doo SP, SPX, SPX, HX, and so on); didn't really have the ability to do it, and didn't ever feel the need to. I put gas in the gas tank and oil in the oil tank of my 580, 650, 720, or whatever Rotax I happened to have under me, and I rode. I rode for a few hours and I went home. I didn't take them on week long adventures, though some still did (anyone ever see that PWC trailer contraption they marketed back when?). There was barely any yearly maintenance besides fogging the engine and changing the pump oil every now and then. I loved those old 'skis, and owned two, the newest of which was a '97 SPX, up until 2011. Never a single breakdown in all those years. They were fun and simple.

The new breed of PWC is awesome, insanely fast, packed with features; but the prices... The Spark is the alternative to those monsters that the industry needs and the people want. I think Sea-Doo is going to sell a bunch of them. I know if I hadn't just bought a new boat two seasons ago, I'd have a spark on order right now.

I think you nailed it.

I also owned a 97 SPX. Great machine! Sold it in 2006 when I moved and could not get it across country w/o spending a small fortune. Maybe I should find a nice used one. :)

I just found a guy that bought a spark 3U. Hates it! Says it's too slow for him and his wife and it horid at towing. He's selling it and buying a 155. Less than 5 hours on the machine.

There will be more stories no doubt out there like this but by in large, everyone else seems to love them provided they know what they are getting themselves into.

One concern I have is that by the time you buy a 3U with 90 hp....another 1500 bucks puts you in a new 155. The Sparks are selling for Msrp....the 155s are not. So the gap has closed. Then you add the fact that you can find slightly used machines and gap is even smaller.

I suspect too that seadoo will add more power to the sparks next year. After market tuners are already getting another 20 hp out if them. I bet Seadoo will have a 100 hp machine at least next year or the following. This will either risk driving the price up and/or driving prices down on the current models.

Regardless....I want to get on one.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You get what you pay for. The low price would make me wonder. Its a new engine and a new hull material. Seven years in the making.....yeah right. NO years of direct customer experience. I can just see all the yahoos hitting huge waves and cracking the hull. I bought their last offering the first year without any history, but for this I'd be more cautious.

My current ski is 11 years old and still showroom condition and running like a top. The only mechanic to ever touch it was me.....good thing it didn't need computer work......LOL.

I go the boatshow every year and have been comtemplating an upgrade for 3 years now. None of the new models grab me. My issue is storage room. The latest models have cut the space more than in half.

If you are satisfied with going back and forth in front of the launch ramp, switching drivers every 15 minutes and jumping boat waves, then that's a model for you. Personally, that's boring. When we go out for an afternoon we usually put on 70 or 80 miles, stopping several places along the way. My cooler, fishing rods, tackle box, lunch box, air pump with blow-up tubes, et. al. fit in the front compartment. Without that room, the ski would be useless to me. Your style may be different.

WaterDR

You get what you pay for. The low price would make me wonder. Its a new engine and a new hull material. Seven years in the making.....yeah right. NO years of direct customer experience. I can just see all the yahoos hitting huge waves and cracking the hull. I bought their last offering the first year without any history, but for this I'd be more cautious.

My current ski is 11 years old and still showroom condition and running like a top. The only mechanic to ever touch it was me.....good thing it didn't need computer work......LOL.

I go the boatshow every year and have been comtemplating an upgrade for 3 years now. None of the new models grab me. My issue is storage room. The latest models have cut the space more than in half.

If you are satisfied with going back and forth in front of the launch ramp, switching drivers every 15 minutes and jumping boat waves, then that's a model for you. Personally, that's boring. When we go out for an afternoon we usually put on 70 or 80 miles, stopping several places along the way. My cooler, fishing rods, tackle box, lunch box, air pump with blow-up tubes, et. al. fit in the front compartment. Without that room, the ski would be useless to me. Your style may be different.

Yea....this ain't that ski. I think you will find people with cabins on inland lakes buying these. Or people using them in combination with other boats.

lemcarney

Recruit

I have rode on at lake norman. Very cold now but the power to weight ratio is awesome,, these are a blast. One of the boat clubs has one around here. Contact one of the guys at Lake Norman Boat Club | Lake Effects Boat Club and they will let you demo for free if you are interested in the boat club.

WaterDR

That seems tpo be what most people are saying! I have decided, for now, to NOT buy one. A few too many unknowns for me.

WaterDR

That seems tpo be what most people are saying! I have decided, for now, to NOT buy one. A few too many unknowns for me.

Be interesting to compare a kawasaki stx 15 to a spark. Same price basically. But the kawasaki is a 160 Hp fiberglass machine that goes 55 to 60 mph. Wonder how the fun factor compares.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fresh or salt water? I owned a brand new kawasaki ONCE ! NEVER again! biggest piece of garbage I have ever owned at any price I practically gave it away to get rid of it and I was grateful when it rolled out of my yard. Now after owning a lot of skies I just walk in write a check and leave with the ski. I can say hands down that Yamaha fx ho has been the best, I have had sea doo gtx ltd and regular gtx , loved the hull and the ride but the pumps were less than reliable I actually still have a 02 rare brass hub pump that I carried with me because I had 2 gtx 4tec skies and the pumps had so many issues that I would often change a pump out on the boat ramp when needed. I have had 2 stroke sea doos also. In any event the yamaha 1800 is unbelievable and reliable . If you are a serious rider , skier etc, get a good ski and enjoy it nothing worse than wasting your boating season while something is being fixed. I had a separate trailer for the kawasaki so I could off load it from my double trailer and bring it to the dealer constantly I might add if ever there was a lemon that ski was it. 250 hp if it ran and the fuel was premium only, I spend 8000 or more a year on fuel for my skies so having fun is paramount. Heck go check out a new or slightly used Yamaha vx110 and you won't be in it too much but it will be reliable and fun.

WaterDR

fresh or salt water? I owned a brand new kawasaki ONCE ! NEVER again! biggest piece of garbage I have ever owned at any price I practically gave it away to get rid of it and I was grateful when it rolled out of my yard. Now after owning a lot of skies I just walk in write a check and leave with the ski. I can say hands down that Yamaha fx ho has been the best, I have had sea doo gtx ltd and regular gtx , loved the hull and the ride but the pumps were less than reliable I actually still have a 02 rare brass hub pump that I carried with me because I had 2 gtx 4tec skies and the pumps had so many issues that I would often change a pump out on the boat ramp when needed. I have had 2 stroke sea doos also. In any event the yamaha 1800 is unbelievable and reliable . If you are a serious rider , skier etc, get a good ski and enjoy it nothing worse than wasting your boating season while something is being fixed. I had a separate trailer for the kawasaki so I could off load it from my double trailer and bring it to the dealer constantly I might add if ever there was a lemon that ski was it. 250 hp if it ran and the fuel was premium only, I spend 8000 or more a year on fuel for my skies so having fun is paramount. Heck go check out a new or slightly used Yamaha vx110 and you won't be in it too much but it will be reliable and fun.

The Fxho is an awesome machine. Buts it's also 14k out the door with a trailer.

I personally would not own any supercharged machine of any brand and especially the kawasaki. But would have no issues owning a non supercharged kawasaki. They also hold their value better than any brand around here.

There are lots of them out on the river here. I hear no complaints.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was not suggesting he buy a fx ho just commenting on it being one of my favorites and that a Yamaha is hands down the best for reliability in my experience, heck I plan on selling my sho and buying another fx ho this year since I always have 2 new skies and I already have 175 hours on my 2013 that I purchased new in July. However the advice I was giving was pick up a newer yamaha vx110 and ride the thing no worries. If money was a factor to me I know I would, fortunately money isn't a factor reliability, ride handling and stability are the big issues with me. Everyone is different. As for kawasaki It is a swear word in my vocabulary. Funny I was warned not to buy one from someone who owned one and hated it. Did I listen , I should have.

WaterDR

I was not suggesting he buy a fx ho just commenting on it being one of my favorites and that a Yamaha is hands down the best for reliability in my experience, heck I plan on selling my sho and buying another fx ho this year since I always have 2 new skies and I already have 175 hours on my 2013 that I purchased new in July. However the advice I was giving was pick up a newer yamaha vx110 and ride the thing no worries. If money was a factor to me I know I would, fortunately money isn't a factor reliability, ride handling and stability are the big issues with me. Everyone is different. As for kawasaki It is a swear word in my vocabulary. Funny I was warned not to buy one from someone who owned one and hated it. Did I listen , I should have.

This is my opinion on the three brands:

Yamaha has the best power plants and are the most bullet proof in NA form. The 1800 motor is extra special.

The VX1100 is a great nearly entry level model. Not too many extras and a bit sluggish. Reliable and fuel efficient. Top choice as a rental machine.

Seadoos seem to be the most sophisticated, most engineered and thusly a few more things to break. But good machines. The SC models have had problems which they claim to have fixed. They used a closed loop which has pros and cons.

Kawasakis are the most basic. The motor is from a motorcycle. Easiest to maintain. The NA models I have heard are quite reliable. Best bang for the buck.

I have spoken to multiple dealers over the years that sell all three. Without exception, they seem to own a Yamaha for their own machine.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

I was wondering the same thing when I read that. Do you own a rental shop?

$8k in fuel @ $4 per gallon is 2,000 gallons. @5 mpg in a ski that is 10,000 miles. That's about what people drive per year in a car.

I'm not saying it can't happen just curious.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes really! hopefully a bit less now that I have relieved myself of the kawasaki LOL.
I go out all year and usually go 3 or more days a week "all day" so comfort and reliability are very important to me. I do have my accountant file for highway tax refund so I need to keep good records. 2162 gallons to be exact. in 2013
2088 in 2012
2369 in 2011
1851 in 2010
1884 in 2009
cant find gal for 08 but I spent 6804 on it gallon usage would have been similar though since gas was less expensive.
2305 gal in 07 etc etc etc.
I know people who use more than I do some people just have all the fun. average mileage for a ski is in the 4 miles to a gallon range just cruising about half if you ride it hard I bring 4 / 6gallon cans and two skies with full tanks so i don't have to stop , if one breaks I ride another .

And no I do not rent skies ,nope I would never rent a ski fastest way to get them ruined.
Just me and my girl but she likes to ride on the back most of the time.
I just got rid of a kawasaki with 300 hrs on it huge gas hog, and I have a sho with 525 hours on it and a new fxho with 175 hours on it. all purchased new with zero hours.
It's easy to burn up a ton of fuel if you like riding and you have the time, money and location.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.